Thread: Router light?

Router light?

Anybody find a great battery operated light to somehow attach to the router base, directed @ the bit, to enable more visual down on the work?

Seems like there may be many ways to approach this--has anyone done all the trial and error work already, and found a perfect setup?

Have the Bosch assortment of fixed/plunge, and Colt.

As always, thanks-David
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

I just use the 90 lumen headlamp that I use for camping, it has 2 spectrum modes; proximity and spot, both are dimmable. The spot is what I use most all the time for detail work, it has a multi-position detent to direct the light downward at an angle. The only downside I can see is if you had a plastic shield on your router opening, it would reflect back badly.

There are tons of different makes, this is the one I have, apparently the newer models are quite a bit more powerful, this one looks to be 130 lumen.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond-...k+diamond+spot

David

Blog Entries
    I have a couple that are similar to this. I just move it from router to router with a bit of velcro. In practice I did not find it to be that much help despite plenty of light. I have stopped bothering . . . that's just my experience.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Possibly something like this would work.. http://tips.woodmagazine.com/wood-ro...ur-old-router/

I've attached one of those 2 for $3.00 Harbor Freight LED flashlights to routers using 2 piece velcro tape and wasn't very successful with that plan. I now use a gooseneck LED light on a spring Clamp from Lowes. http://www.lowes.com/pd_352725-47842...ductId=3394398 for routing.

They produce a very even and bright white light that is perfect for routing, or for attaching to your larger woodworking tools for extra light. I have seven of them now, some attached to my tools, two each on my scroll saws, and a couple for putting bright white shadow free light anywhere I need it. They are a whole lot brighter than those first LED Flashlights that I tried using.

Charley

This will work.

Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

You can make a lighted base (a shop project) like this: http://www.routerforums.com/general-...uter-base.html

I remember seeing some guy who was making something similar, with the base being milled out for battery, etc but I can't find a link. It's the one thing I miss about my 80's Sears router.

Why not power it from the router itself?

I check out the mods that people make to power tools (I love Matthias Wandel on YouTube!)

It seems that one of you Creekers would have figured out how to tap into the power of your router to automatically power a light that you've mounted to the base. I think on the last router I took apart the trigger switch was switching 115V, so it seems like that might be a source.

But I assume if it were easy I'd have found numerous people who've already done it.

One of my many weaknesses is mulling over ideas, searching for intellectual concepts rather than getting something done!
    Doug, the "Wood Loon"
    Acton, MA

72, slow road cyclist, woodworking dabbler, tool junkie , and
    bonsai enthusiast.
    Now, if I could just stay focused longer than a few weeks...

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    This will work.

That needs some duct tape!

Myk, that could use a little refining ...but is way better than those Craftsman router lights that were always hanging from the wire like a gouged out eye ball.

Somebody makes a retrofit lexan base with built-in LED's. Maybe three of them spaced around the bit.

Seems like a good idea. Having the light underneath the plastic is obviously a superior solution. One of these days I intend to modify my own base.

Somebody makes a retrofit lexan base with built-in LED's. Maybe three of them spaced around the bit.

Seems like a good idea. Having the light underneath the plastic is obviously a superior solution. One of these days I intend to modify my own base.

Ah, I see Dave Cullen shows a similar mod. Well yeah, like that!

MLCS has one of these can light it up with laser or led and get a stabilizing base too.