Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Estate sale Plane Identification

Estate sale Plane Identification

Can someone help me out with what brand/model these planes are. Mainly interested in the two in the boxes, but would love to identify the smaller one on the right and the spokeshave. This sale is in my parent's hometown and mom was gonna check it out, but don't want to send her if it's not worth it. Thanks

"When I got home, I drank six more glasses of whiskey and then I finished crafting this small harp, using a bandsaw, a spokeshave, and an oscillating spindle sander." - Ron Swanson

The router plane looks like a Stanley 71 1/2. The other looks like a Millers Fall which have red frogs. It looks like the equivalent of a 3 or 4 plane.

Blog Entries
    Pretty much agree with Glen. The small plane on the right looks like a #75 or its equivalent. Not a particularly spectacular bull nose rabbet plane.

The other block plane looks like a #110 or equivalent. Again, nothing spectacular.

If you can snag the Millers Falls or the router plane for a good price, they both should be decent users.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Here is more info on the Millers Falls 900:

http://oldtoolheaven.com/bench/economyplanes.htm

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Blog Entries
    I have a couple of Miller Falls 90's. One is a CBG Type 5 maybe? No brass) corrugated sole that I use as a small smoother. The other is a straight 90 (type 4 I think) that I use like most folks would a Stanley No 4. I have Veritas, Stanley's and others but, the MF 9's hold their own as very good daily users.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-02-2016 at 7:20 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The Stanley 71P is a made in England router plane. Should make a good user, price depends on whether or not it has all it's parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Schneider View Post
    The Stanley 71P is a made in England router plane. Should make a good user, price depends on whether or not it has all it's parts.
    Anywhere I can find a list of all the parts it should have.....a picture would be best
    "When I got home, I drank six more glasses of whiskey and then I finished crafting this small harp, using a bandsaw, a spokeshave, and an oscillating spindle sander." - Ron Swanson

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hotard View Post
    Anywhere I can find a list of all the parts it should have.....a picture would be best
    The best place for this is Patrick Leaches Blood & Gore:

http://www.supertool.com/

jtk

As to the spokeshave, several manufacturers made shaves with that open loop handle. Bailey (not Stanley) had some in their Victor line, but with a different means of holding the cutting iron in place. I'm not sure who else did.

As to the little plane bottom right, it is, or is an imitation of, a Stanley No. 75 bullnose rabbet plane. Lots of people made them. Most people find them frustrating to use, although painters seem to like them for use during painting prep. You need an edge sharper than a teenager's tongue to get much use from them.

In either case, you may find a maker's name by cleaning off the cutting iron and looking at the top - that is, the face of the iron at the end opposite the cutting edge. Most manufacturers with any pride in their tools would put the company name there.

Concur. I collect MF. The 900 is a common plane of #4 size and was originally branded as a Mohawk Shelburne. This one is later. It would be easier to date it with a shot of the adjuster knob. Grab it..it has the box!

#75 looks correct (or could be Stanley 110?), and the #4 doesn't look in bad shape. Could be type 4 period, but that looks like a barrel screw so could be earlier. Hard to say.. I have two very early ones with different screws.

I have a Stanley 71P in the yellow box like you show. Both box and plane are marked Made in USA. It should have 3 cutters and a fence to be complete.

If it were me, I'd grab this one and pass on the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I have a couple of Miller Falls 90's. One is a CBG Type 5 maybe? No brass) corrugated sole that I use as a small smoother. The other is a straight 90 (type 4 I think) that I use like most folks would a Stanley No 4. I have Veritas, Stanley's and others but, the MF 9's hold their own as very good daily users.
    I actully am enjoying my vintage planes as much as my premium modern planes at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    The best place for this is Patrick Leaches Blood & Gore:

http://www.supertool.com/

jtk
    I love that site. His tool list seems to be drying up a bit in terms of the vintage Stanley tools...

I think that little bullnose is a Millers Falls 4-01. (or sometimes 4G-01, indicating government issue) Pretty much identical to a Stanley 75, except a slightly rougher casting.

It's actually quite useful, though a little uncomfortable in the hand.

A chisel plane is more useful, though. Someday I may just cut the nose off my 4-01.
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 02-03-2016 at 7:57 AM.

4, 4-01, 4-02, 4-01G are the same plane, just different place of manufacture for two of them. It's hard to tell if it is an MF or a Stanley 75 though. MF didn't mark the model on those for a whole lot of years so the cutter stamp is really the only method of identification at a glance.