Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air vs Electric Sander

Air vs Electric Sander

I have historically used an electric orbital and palm sander. I recently got a 60 gallon, 3.7 Hp compressor. I'm wondering if I should start using air sanders, but I don't know what the difference is, if any, in an electric vs air sander. Thanks in advance for your help.

Seemingly, an air sander should be less complicated and potentially have longer life. But there are also challenges with things like required SCFM to power it (be very careful about that before you spend the money...your compressor actually may not be enough for some of the air sanders) and dust collection isn't always a feature, despite being a "requirement". You also want to be sure it's a "random orbit" mechanism and not just rotary for woodworking purposes. Air sanders really shine in production environments because of the longevity I mentioned earlier. They are less typical for smaller shops, as far as I've noted. It would be very hard to convince me to move to air sanders from my Festool sanders, quite honestly.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

How many cfm at what pressure is your compressor? I've got an 80 gal two stage compressor that is 5hp, it can keep up with a Dynabrade, but it's running hard.

Before getting a Mirka Ceros I swore by the Dynabrade, now not so much. But Jim is correct, they are more or less indestructible. I've got a couple of them going on ten years. I'll be happy to get more than a couple of years out of the Mirka's.

My air sander takes stuff off in a hurry. I like it better than electric, BUT, it does use a lot of air. Just like my needle scalers.
    60 gal with 3.5hp ought to power it fine. Might have to take a break now and then.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

The compressor produces 11.5 cfm at 90 psi.

That is on the low end for a Dynabrade. 15 cfm is better. The compressor will run hard, air will not sit in tank long so will come out warm and need a dryer or you will spit water in humid times. I really like the air sanders but you do need a true 5 hp 15-17 cfm compressor. Dave

X2 what Myk said.

The way I use a random orbital sander woodworking, dealing with a compressed air hose would provide an incredible nuisance. The one that is right for you is dependent upon what you are doing with it. An air sander is ideal for sanding down car paint, for example. I use both at different times.

Art, you need to try different hoses. The poly ones weigh nothing and are very flexible.

Blog Entries
    Seems awfully inefficient, using a 5 hp compressor to do what a 5 amp electric sander can do almost as well.
    NOW you tell me...

I use the air when I wet sand (not wood) I use the Ceros or Festools with dust extraction on wood and wood finishes. All of the hoses are a pain for sure but being virtually dustless sanding using either method makes for a much more enjoyable endeavor.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Seems awfully inefficient, using a 5 hp compressor to do what a 5 amp electric sander can do almost as well.

That's the main reason I switched over to the Mirka sanders. I'm looking at a 15hp screw type compressor with the line dryer and filter built in. (Originally I was looking for a 25hp, but I was looking at the wrong stuff) I'm hoping to add a cnc in the next couple of years and it needs almost 16cfm on its own. Nevermind everything else in the shop gobbling up air. Compressors are exponentially expensive. If 10 cfm costs say $100, 20 cfm costs $300. Even if the Mirka's don't last as long as a dynabrade, (which they will not), the savings in a zillion watts getting burned up by an extremely expensive air compressor makes up for the lack of longevity with the electric sander.

I'm sure you already know Martin, but ideally if you get a rotary screw, it would be VFD driven to respond to air demand, apparently the electric savings are significant.
    I was never happier than the day I put the air sander on the shelf. The electrics with vacs are soooooooooo much more versatile and portable!

Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
    I'm sure you already know Martin, but ideally if you get a rotary screw, it would be VFD driven to respond to air demand, apparently the electric savings are significant.
    I was never happier than the day I put the air sander on the shelf. The electrics with vacs are soooooooooo much more versatile and portable!

I have a buddy of mine who is a mechanical engineer that does energy audits tell me that a few years ago when I first started thinking about getting a big angry compressor. I asked a salesman about it and he said on a small scale it doesn't pay. You have to get in to the 50+ horsepower range before the initial cost will be out weighed by efficiency savings. That has likely changed though considering how inexpensive that stuff has become, and I should probably inquire about it again.

We have/had an incentive program from the power company about 10 years ago, and qualified for a rebate, and bought a 7.5 hp rotary on a 80 gal tank. Was around $7-8k as i remember, and they were paying about $2500-3000 of that i think.
    We had it for a short time.
    I was really,really impressed with the quietness of it.
    I think that particular unit didnt play well with our antiquated power supply in the building we were renting and we had some issues.
    We got nervous, and sent it back.
    I wish we hadn't!