Thread: Strange plane

Strange plane

This plane has its blade very forward to the sole. Can anyone figure out what the purpose of this is ?

20160203_102132_resized.jpg

20160203_102118_resized.jpg
    Best regards

Lasse Hilbrandt

Maybe just to get enough space for that large handle? Old English handled planes usually have the mouth at 1/3 from the front. German ones have the mouth further back. In this case it is more like 1/4 from the front. It'll probably work allright.

The blade has to clear that HUGE,UGLY handle! Why is it that many manufacturers have NO ONE in their design department that has any sense of DESIGN and aesthetics?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    The blade has to clear that HUGE,UGLY handle! Why is it that many manufacturers have NO ONE in their design department that has any sense of DESIGN and aesthetics?
    Maybe they figured people would buy ugly tools so they wouldn't have to worry about people stealing them.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

What does the blade tell you about its manufacture? Looks Austrian or German. Nice beechwood body.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Davis View Post
    What does the blade tell you about its manufacture? Looks Austrian or German. Nice beechwood body.
    The blade is E.A. Berg from Sweden. But I think this plane is a Danish design (do I dare say that after the smothering from George Wilson? ;-) The guy who sold it to me got it from a Danish tool company when they shut down. He thinks its a prototype that never came into production...perhaps because of the poor design ;-)
    Best regards

Lasse Hilbrandt

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    perhaps the design comes from the idea that the manufacturer has no idea of what kind of knucklehead might be using the tool and they don't want it back a week later because it broke. look at Stanley, the lower the line, the thicker the handle.

Lasse. if you compare the general construction and quality of the 2 smaller planes you received; you could rightly conclude that the larger plane was made by a different plane maker. imo

Click on the photo to enlarge;

Stewie;
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 02-04-2016 at 1:36 AM.

That might be the case, but what was it doing at the plane factory then ?
    Best regards

Lasse Hilbrandt

It looks like it was a jointer plane that was just shortened. Maybe the photo is misleading, but that uneven surface on the front look like cut marks to me.
    Longer versions of this plane are not uncommon in Denmark. I've got two, allthough from other makers, that are around 52-55cm long.
    I think the plane is from Langeskov like the two others. Of all the Danish planemakers, Langeskov was the only one who didn't stamp their logo into the wood, but used a sticker or decal.

I agree with others, not the best looking plane out there, allthough I believe it's a user mod and not a design flaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Laursen View Post
    It looks like it was a jointer plane that was just shortened. Maybe the photo is misleading, but that uneven surface on the front look like cut marks to me.
    Longer versions of this plane are not uncommon in Denmark. I've got two, allthough from other makers, that are around 52-55cm long.
    I think the plane is from Langeskov like the two others. Of all the Danish planemakers, Langeskov was the only one who didn't stamp their logo into the wood, but used a sticker or decal.

I agree with others, not the best looking plane out there, allthough I believe it's a user mod and not a design flaw.
    I will find out tomorrow, as Im going to visit the previous owner of the factory, I expect him to tell me all sorts of interesting info about the production.
    Best regards

Lasse Hilbrandt

I think it is not shortened. I have seen in here several planes with same dimensions.

I have even one at myself, which mouth is as front as it's in yours. E.A Bergs iron too, but no makers mark in body.

-TR