Thread: Very strange ABS

Angry Very strange ABS

Hi everybody!

This is some interesting ABS we got lately from china. The first order was fine, no faults, no scratch, good for engraving and cutting. This second order is very strange. When we peal off protective cover it leaves something strange on ABS. You can see that in pictures.
    The white one leaves something shiny that can be partially scratched off. I guess it is some kind of a glue or what. We tried washing with hot water, alcohol, benzine, acetone, paint thinners and nothing could wash it off.

photo(1).jpgphoto.jpg
    Trotec Speedy 300
    Trotec Speedy 400

Blog Entries
    Looks like remnants of the plastic cover...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Yes, they are. The plastic cover does not tear down, it comes off in one peace. Somehow it divides it self
    Trotec Speedy 300
    Trotec Speedy 400

Try heating it gently with a hair dryer and rub with your finger to get it started, then roll to peel off. Be careful, too much heat can warm the material. It sounds like a problem similar to removing the paper from old acrylic.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

We tried heating it. Well, it helps but only for brushed type gold and aluminum. The colored ones are problem. It does not comes off.
    Trotec Speedy 300
    Trotec Speedy 400

I wonder if they're using biodegradable plastic for the coating? If so, could be whatever's added to the plastic to degrade it is also degrading the 'host' plastic, and the two are fusing together?

(just a guess, I was actually reading about such plastic just the other day!)
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I wonder whats actually in the 'acrylic' material, from a safety point of view I'm not sure I would trust laserable chinese sheet to actually be laserable safely ?
    I've seen / been involved in some horrible stories on items purchased direct from China, the most recent being a very expensive colour sorting machine for sorting grains.

On the plastic peeling side of things, I bought some sheets from another engraver at a super low cost, because it had exactly this problem. i just use it for stencils etc.
    He told me that the supplier said it was because they had applied the plastic film before the plastic had cured properly.
    HARDWARE - Macbook Retina Pro - Toshiba Satellite - Epilog Helix 60W Co2 Laser & Rotary - Trotec Speedy 300 Co2 Laser - Gravo IS400 IQ Engraver. - Pcut CTO630 Vinyl Cutter. - Wacom DTF720 Touch / Trace Screen - GKS DC16 Sublimation Press - Chinese 6040 CNC Router
    SOFTWARE - VMware Fusion / Windows 8.1 - Coreldraw X6 - Trotec Job Control 9.4.4.2 - E-cut - Gravostyle 7 - ULS 1Touch Photo - BizzWizz Invoicing / Stock Control / Ledger - VB6 Pro - Mach3 - V-Carve Desktop

Looks like a lacquer coating. I've worked with sheet materials from plastic processors that lacquer coat on the extrusion line. It's typically for scratch and chemical resistance.

Of course, this coating failed to adhere.

Also, I see lots and lots of ABS. I've never seen it that color with a protective film.
    Last edited by Doug Griffith; 02-05-2016 at 11:32 PM.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.