Thread: Missing parts on a Miller's Falls No. 1 hand drill.

Missing parts on a Miller's Falls No. 1 hand drill.

I recently picked up a Miller's Falls No. 1 hand drill on ebay. It seems to be in good shape other than missing the knob that screws into the frame opposite the gear wheel, and it is also missing the little knurled gear stabilizer screw that screws into the handle end of the frame, I have seen it called a wiper on other web sites. Anybody know where I could obtain these missing parts? I'd like to get this drill into full working order if possible. Thanks.

Back to ebay or a local tool meet are your best bets.

The side knobs do come up on occasion..iirc, the knobs from the #3 should fit. But..try one before you quote me. I have a 3, but I haven't sprung for a 1 yet.

Incidentally, the chef's hat knob for a #5 may also fit as all 3 are smaller drills.

For the wiper, you may be better off fashioning one from a screw.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Canaday View Post
    Back to ebay or a local tool meet are your best bets.

The side knobs do come up on occasion..iirc, the knobs from the #3 should fit. But..try one before you quote me. I have a 3, but I haven't sprung for a 1 yet.

Incidentally, the chef's hat knob for a #5 may also fit as all 3 are smaller drills.

For the wiper, you may be better off fashioning one from a screw.
    I emailed Wiktor Kuc regarding parts, and got similar advice. I suspect that is the correct route. I think you are spot on with the wiper idea as well. I may just drag my drill down to the hardware store and see what I can find that fits.

Blog Entries
    It took me a bit to understand what part you were looking to find.

Is this it:

Equalizerbring.jpg

That shouldn't be too hard to make from a set screw and nut of some kind.

There are set screws with plastic inserts at the tip.

Found that at:

http://oldtoolheaven.com/hand_drills/drill1.htm

There used to be someone who made knobs for Millers Falls hand drills. Nice thing about Millers Falls is they used commonly found bolt sizes. It would be easy to make your own with parts likely available from the same hardware store you plan to visit. They likely have short bolts with wood threads on one end and machine threads on the other.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 02-03-2016 at 2:31 PM. Reason: plastic tipped set screws
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I've restored a number of No 1's (my favorite hand drill). The No 1 and No 105 are interchangeable with the exception of the shaft the chuck screws onto. The shaft is interchangeable, but the McCoy's chuck on the No 1 will not work on a 105 shaft. You can usually find a No 1 or No 105 for parts pretty cheap on ebay. A side knob from just about any MF drill will work (No 1, 105, 2, 2A, 3, 303, 5, 5A, etc.). I may have an extra "wiper" somewhere I can pass on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    It took me a bit to understand what part you were looking to find.

Is this it:

Equalizerbring.jpg

jtk
    Yep, that's the part.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hartmann View Post
    I've restored a number of No 1's (my favorite hand drill). The No 1 and No 105 are interchangeable with the exception of the shaft the chuck screws onto. The shaft is interchangeable, but the McCoy's chuck on the No 1 will not work on a 105 shaft. You can usually find a No 1 or No 105 for parts pretty cheap on ebay. A side knob from just about any MF drill will work (No 1, 105, 2, 2A, 3, 303, 5, 5A, etc.). I may have an extra "wiper" somewhere I can pass on.
    That's good to know about the knobs being interchangeable between models. If you have an extra wiper, that would be great! Otherwise, I can probably fashion a screw as has been suggested.

I have an extra wiper if you want it. I can't get it in the mail until next Wed or Fri (our post office is only open Mon-Wed-Fri and Mon is NATO holiday). If you're not in a hurry I can get it to you. Just send me your address.

A screw will work as suggested, but you may not need it. I have a few No 1's and only one of them actually needs it. The tolerances are pretty good without it. If the gear is wobbling that much you can sometimes make other adjustments that are better. Friction from the wiper means the drill is less efficient.

8. Found this site and signed up a few days ago after I started refurbishing a MF No.1. As I was cleaning up the parts I found that the pinion closest to the chuck had a small piece broken out of the side right where the pin goes. A previous owner had fixed it by drilling and tapping the gear and shaft and installing a brass screw. I would like to replace the broken gear with a good replacement if one can be found. The one I need is a 13 tooth. Does anyone out there have a MF No.1 they are parting out that might have this 13 tooth gear in good condition and what would the cost be?

Thanks very much.

Charlie Williams2

Blog Entries
    Howdy Charlie and welcome to the Creek.

Sorry I can not help you with the part. Maybe someone else has the parts you need or can suggest a dealer that may have it.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

10. Found this site and signed up a few days ago after I started refurbishing a MF No.1. As I was cleaning up the parts I found that the pinion had a small piece broken out of the side right where the pin goes. A previous owner had fixed it by drilling and tapping the gear and shaft and installing a brass screw. I would like to replace the broken gear with a good replacement if one can be found. The one I need is a 13 tooth. Would you happen to have a MF No.1 you might be parting out that might have this 13 tooth gear in good condition and what would the cost be?

Thanks very much.

Charlie Williams2