Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scroll saw

Scroll saw

Hey guys, I looking for a scroll saw and Ive done a lot of research in the last few days but Im getting conflicting reviews so Im not sure which one to buy.

Ill be using the saw mostly for cutting out totes for hand planes in 1 inch stock.

Do you guys have a favorite or can you recommend a reliable saw? I don't want to spend a ton of money maybe $150 - $200 or so.

Thanks!

The Dewalt 788 model is a very good scroll saw. Sometimes you can find them used for $250 - $300. I'm not sure what kind of quality you can buy for less than that.

1" stock is pushing the upper limit of a scrollsaw.
    A bandsaw would be my first choice.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I can cut 1-1/2" on my Hegner Scroll saw with the proper blade but it is a bit more than your price range.

Your best bet is to watch Craigslist.

Blog Entries
    If you totes will have fretwork (captured openings) then the scroll saw is my tool of choice. I primarily use my DeWalt 788 in 3/4" stock for decorative "piercings" in A&C type furniture. The need for power and the desire to keep it under $1000 is what led me to the DeWalt 788. At the time I was making the decision, there were certainly better saws but, not for the price. I also found that for my purposes, this was the least expensive saw to do the job so I guess it really fit my requirement pretty well. It has been a workhorse. I do nothing to it but use it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Hegner is the one I have and I'm just starting using it but love it so far. Bought it for $300 on CL. I saw one in CA with stand and everything on CL for 250 which is a screaming buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    +1 That's not a good job for a scroll saw. And it would be too slow. Band saw and a rasp would be better. Even a jig saw and rasp in a pinch.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Hmm, I asked a few people and they told me a scroll saw would be best for the totes but I just need something to cut out the basic shape because Ive been using a coping saw and let me tell you, it sucks! I do all my shaping with rasps and sand paper.
    If a band saw is best then what do you all suggest?

Can you post a picture or drawing of what you are making? It would be much easier for us to recommend a saw if we could see a picture.

Charley

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post

I really do agree. Look for a decent used 14 inch band saw. I got a good deal on a used Jet in fine working condition, $150 for what is an $800 saw new.
    Last edited by Chris Hachet; 02-05-2016 at 8:42 AM. Reason: Spelling

I asked for a picture to verify exactly what you are making. Scroll saws and band saws make great curved cuts, but are relatively terrible at making straight cuts. Curved cut-out holes in pieces are better done with a scroll saw, or cut with a jig saw or drilled and routed if for handle holes, etc. Band saws do curves on the outer perimeter of pieces best. Straight cuts are better made with a table saw or hand held circular saw and a guide. We could provide a better answer if we saw a picture or drawing. You may need several of these tools to do the job the best way.

Charley

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Fisicaro View Post
    Hmm, I asked a few people and they told me a scroll saw would be best for the totes but I just need something to cut out the basic shape because Ive been using a coping saw and let me tell you, it sucks! I do all my shaping with rasps and sand paper.
    If a band saw is best then what do you all suggest?
    For this sort of thing (again assuming there is no need for the scrollsaw) a small saw should do. The 10" Rikon gets good reviews and has for some time. It often goes on sale for around $250 and is in fact on sale at Woodcraft until Valentin's Day right now. I have a 17" saw that I use for most things but, I have a 1970's 10" Delta that I would be loath to be without. As long as your intentions don't exceed the machine, a small bandsaw should do you well. The small Jet gets a lot of press but, I think it is about $100 too much for what you get. Hopefully some other small saw owners will chime in.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Like Glenn I also have a benchtop bandsaw from the 1970s that I often use. I'm sure it's not as nice as his Delta but it works. It's certainly not as nice as any of the saws reviewed in this article from Woodworker's Journal. The reviewer rated a 9" saw from Skil as a "Best Bet", whatever that means. But at $129 it's half the price of the Rikon and right in the middle of Paul's budget.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

I have the Rikon 10" bandsaw with the Carter blade stabilizer. It is amazing how tight a corner you can cut with it.

The small bandsaw fits nicely between a Hegner Scroll saw and a 16" bandsaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Lent View Post
    Can you post a picture or drawing of what you are making? It would be much easier for us to recommend a saw if we could see a picture.

Charley
    Ill be making these...

image-(3).jpg