Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ratìonalizing a tool addiction

Ratìonalizing a tool addiction

I don't know about anyone else, but I always feel just a tad guilty buying a new or new-to-me tool to replace (or duplicate) one I already have. I still do it, but I second guess myself:
    * "Did you really need the two japanese dozuki saws? You already have LV backsaws."
    * "Did you really need that vintage #3 plane? You already have a WR #3."
    * "Did you really need those JET parallel clamps - you already have plenty of F-clamps in that size?"
    * "Do you really need those Ashley Isles chisels - you have a good set of Marples blue handles and oh by the way why isn't it sufficient to buy just the Narex bench chisels?"

You get the idea. So, today I decided to just look my addiction in the eye and put up the following sign in my shop .......

"For me, woodworking is really four related hobbies:
    1. Making nice furniture
    2. Building an efficient, effective and pleasant shop over time
    3. Making tools when I can
    4. Trying out new or new-to-me tools and techniques"

Now I have an excuse - it's my hobby to test out different tools.

How about you?
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 02-03-2016 at 9:17 PM.

It is good to see that you're making progress towards a cure for your "addiction".

When you are finally cured you will see that there is no reason to second-guess yourself, and no need for any kind of sign in the shop or elsewhere!

A healthy person can never have enough tools! Questioning is a sign of illness, but once one sees it for what it is, he can be healed.

You are definitely on the right track. Buying more tools may help your situation and lead to a faster cure.

It is a bit concerning though that you referred to your situation as an addiction. As your cure continues you will see the fallacy in such a thought.
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Rehab is for quitters!

I guess I went into a buying phase when I started woodworking. But then I noticed that I wasn't using some of the tools and I could achieve the same thing with some other tool. So I started cutting back. I have to be sure now that I'll use a tool before I buy one.

The problem with owning anything is that you have to take care of it.

Mike

[Oh, one more comment: Remember the old saying, "When the gods want to punish us, they make our dreams come true."]
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Rehab is for quitters!
    THAT made my day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Along those lines, I'm not an alcoholic. Alcoholics go to meetings. And I dont have a #3 plane. Well, I have a 603 Bedrock. And about 29 other planes. I'm not addicted.

Well, I also enjoy buying a new tool, as most of us probably do. Luckily, I have gotten to the stage to generally know what is a gimmick and what is a useful tool. I justify the purchases by reminding myself that I do not hunt, golf or fish. Woodworking is an expensive hobby but I can buy a lot of tools for the price of a bass boat or country club membership. I may not provide venison, dove or bass for dinner but I built the table upon which my family eats.

Stop the discrimination !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Space View Post
    A healthy person can never have enough tools!
    Sick people need tools too...
    Carpe Lignum

My thought...why do you need to rationalize !!?! My addiction is its own reward...!

Blog Entries
    I haven't felt guilty about buying tools.

I do often pare down to what I need though, which you'll see once in a while if you hawk over the classifieds.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I guess I went into a buying phase when I started woodworking. But then I noticed that I wasn't using some of the tools and I could achieve the same thing with some other tool. So I started cutting back. I have to be sure now that I'll use a tool before I buy one.

The problem with owning anything is that you have to take care of it.

Mike

[Oh, one more comment: Remember the old saying, "When the gods want to punish us, they make our dreams come true."]
    This is pretty much my thinking. I am doing more with fewer tools....

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    THAT made my day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Along those lines, I'm not an alcoholic. Alcoholics go to meetings. And I dont have a #3 plane. Well, I have a 603 Bedrock. And about 29 other planes. I'm not addicted.
    A 603 Bed rock could make me question the simplicity thing...

Quote Originally Posted by phil harold View Post
    Stop the discrimination !!!

Sick people need tools too...
    As do blind people....a friend of mine does fire alarm installation work. He told me about a woodworking shop at a school for the blind filled with power tools....I would love to know how that worked out for them....

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    I haven't felt guilty about buying tools.

I do often pare down to what I need though, which you'll see once in a while if you hawk over the classifieds.
    Which in turn allows me to try out different tools...

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    * "Do you really need those Ashley Isles chisels - you have a good set of Marples blue handles and oh by the way why isn't it sufficient to buy just the Narex bench chisels?"
    Fred
    I just bought a 7 pc set of those Narex chisels. They are OK aren't they? I mean, not stellar, but better than my mismatched plastic handle Stanleys, etc. The old ones will go into my travel toolbox for cabin work and work at my daughters house (like opening paint cans for example)

With my very first pay cheque , I bought tools. I'm still buying tools with my pension cheque, mind you, the woodworking tools I'm buying now were old when I was young.