Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fat men sweat. . .a lot. . .

Fat men sweat. . .a lot. . .

I'm sure there's something I could search, but I figured I'd still ask. . .

What do y'all use to keep sweat out of your eyes, off your tools, and off your projects? I work in a 65F (~17C) in bare feet, shirtless, with shorts to try to keep cool. Invariably, I end up just dripping water off my brow onto my glasses, into my eyes, or worse, off my nose and onto my projects/iron tools. Like I wipe my head and the water starts beading back up.

What have you guys and gals found to control that best?
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

Blog Entries
    I tie a Bandana above my eyes.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    Same here just use the cleanest convenient rag.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

run a fan. helps the sweat to dry faster.

Matt

Blog Entries
    They make sweat bands for the head, but when needed I use a bandana or a cotton baseball cap. I went on a gluten free diet though and lost 30- 35 lbs, down to about 170, now I find I get cold more than hot. If it isn't one (*&7(*& thing it's another!.

Skinny guys (well not exactly skinny) sweat too. Its all about body temp, brother; depending on what your normal temperature is (mine is 96.3), lower will sweat more than higher as ambient temperature will affect your individual temperature (especially when working hard).

I fight the same battle you do and have no additional weight to carry - even when I was in the best shape of my life (former Marine, Orange County Marathon 3hrs 22min) I sweat like a pig.

Long story short, air conditioning is the (my answer). GL

I would suggest that you do a couple of things: 1. Get tested for diabetes (my father sweat profusely, and was always thirsty until he was diagnosed with diabetes and medicated). 2. I learned from my world travels that in hot moist climates like China and Central America that the folks eat hot "chilis" which are very spicy hot peppers to prevent sweating. Otherwise, the traditional sponge head band will keep the sweat into your eyes at a lower level. Diving goggles might even work better.

I use a bandana or tenugui to cover my entire head to keep the sweat out of my eyes and from dripping onto my tools, but also to keep sawdust from my follically challenged pate.

Below is a link to a video of somebody putting one in the "kenkakaburi" or fighting style I typically use. Also, there is a link to a page showing several methods. Those of you with long flowing locks will like these.

Stan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5Aks8y9RVA

http://www.hashimotoya-maturi.com/hatimaki.html

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    This is also what I do. I also drink frequently (water) to keep hydrated.

Terrycloth headbands help me keep my glasses clean and the drips off my tools and projects. No need for one today, its 2 degrees out there, but when the weather turns, it will be time to grab the headband. I've also had good luck with the cloth bands containing water retaining beads. Soak them in cold water for a bit, wrpa around your neck and they really help when the temps go above 90. It's semi-desert here, so evaporative cooling really works well.

Here in the desert sweat is good, not much drips because it evaporates quickly. As a long distance motorcycle rider in the desert Southwest (IBA, Bum Burner Gold, 50 CC and others) I've learned to use sweat and water to stay cool on the hottest days (118F is not unusual). The secret is a product named LDComfort. LDC gear is made of a two layer fabric. The layer next to your skin wicks the sweat to the outer layer and keeps your skin dry. The outer layer holds the moisture for controlled evaporation. LDC makes a helmet liner that would work very well in the shop. Do a google on LDComfort, it could be your answer.

ken

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Enrico - I get blood tests approximately every 6 months for that stuff and more. My family history has diabetes on both sides, heart conditions. . .all sorts of stuff. My blood sugar is well within range. (yay!)

John - Yeah, I'm the same guy that can shovel snow outside when it's 20F in just shorts, boots, and a sleeveless shirt (though I end up shedding the shirt). I think I could work in a freezer and be comfortable. My barefoot habit is actually one way I've found to stay cool; the tile in my basement is cold, and I have found I lose a lot of internal heat through my feet. So cold feet for me keep my comfy.

Ken - Thanks for the suggestion. I could dual-purpose that helmet liner for when I ride *and* when I woodwork. Or just get two.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

I usually wear a baseball cap, with a blue shop towel as a backup. Those blue towels hold a lot of sweat!
    Nothing more annoying than having sweat dripping on your glasses (safety and regular).
    ~Garth

I installed a.c. in my shop after I found myself dripping sweat onto an oil finish I was applying. It made a ton of difference in my hot-weather work day.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Cruea View Post
    I'm sure there's something I could search, but I figured I'd still ask. . .

What do y'all use to keep sweat out of your eyes, off your tools, and off your projects? I work in a 65F (~17C) in bare feet, shirtless, with shorts to try to keep cool. Invariably, I end up just dripping water off my brow onto my glasses, into my eyes, or worse, off my nose and onto my projects/iron tools. Like I wipe my head and the water starts beading back up.

What have you guys and gals found to control that best?
    You should lose the shorts too as long as you are at it. More exposed surface area should help