Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fat men sweat. . .a lot. . .

I used an old white athletic sock until I bought some terrycloth head bands off Amazon. ($2.00 )

The head bands work great and dry out over night.

Any one with a wife that can sew ( I know...sexist statement but the odds are...;-) ) can make some head bands out of old towels or sweat shirt scraps.

I am not that fat, but I sweat like a hog in heat no matter what I do. I am also a glassblower so this is a mixed blessing.
    I wear a fitted baseball cap. I have also started to wear japanese-style head bands, but I am not sold on them yet. They don't play nice with the glasses.
    A baseball cap is also nice to keep flying bits from going over the top of your glasses when using tailed-devices.
    "Aus so krummem Holze, als woraus der Mensch gemacht ist, kann nichts ganz Gerades gezimmert werden."

I've been a heavy sweater through thick (heavy) and thin (light). So much so that I always had very low sodium levels when I worked in 100 degree desert temperatures doing heavy labor, no matter how much salt I took in, and all my hats were crusted with salt around the bands. 65 is right around the point where I get overheated if I'm doing anything physical at all; at 80 I'm prone to heat exhaustion, probably because of all that backcountry work in my 20s and 30s.

This may sounds a little odd, but the best way to use a fan is to point it at your, err, nether regions, because as every first-aider who deals with heat-stressed patient knows, cooling your lower core is one of the best ways to lower your core temperature without getting into an ice bath (the other is ice packs under your armpits, but that's a lot less comfortable). Put a basin of ice water in front of your fan and you might actually get too cold. Wearing shorts will only make it more effective. Lookers-on might think it's weird, but who cares what people think if it works?

These days I use a bandanna with little beads I picked up at a sporting goods store. The beads expand when soaked for a few minutes; supposedly they work well in wet climates, too. I drape it around my neck and move it to put the outside against my neck if the inside loses it cool. There are also cooling towels which work by evaporation, though I haven't tried them.

Good luck!

I would still pursue a medical reason for the sweating. Have you specifically told your doctor about your sweating problem? I would get my thyroid checked as this can be a cause for what you described. It never hurts to track down these issues before something takes a turn for the worse and it cannot be corrected. Let us know of any follow up efforts you make. Would hate to lose a woodworker.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pixley View Post
    I tie a Bandana above my eyes.
    I keep several around. Sweat flows freely when the humidity rises.

I, too, sweat profusely for no apparent reason. Sweating from the head has been tied to vitamin D deficiency. I'm taking vitamin D supplements now and it doesn't help. OTOH, I do have borderline low thyroid and glucose tolerance issues. Medical help may be the answer. Some people just sweat no matter what. I never did until I started running and haven't been able to stop since.

I concur with everyone else.
    Unusual sweating can be something more serious.

Bandanas are great.
    Also, try wicking clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    You should lose the shorts too as long as you are at it. More exposed surface area should help
    BONUS: A roll in the sawdust will help soak up the sweat!

And it's not just sweating from the head. I get soaked all over. The head is just the most annoying sweat because it drips on my tools and projects. Generally after a day in the shop, I have to literally peel most of my clothes off. That's right before I jump in a shower with the hot water turned almost completely off.

Oddly, I brought up the thyroid issue with my doc a while back and it's perfectly fine.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.