Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One of those days...

One of those days...

I'll start by saying I'm no expert at cutting dovetails. In fact, I've really only attempted dovetails a few times. My best attempt was my last, during a class.

I decided to make my wife something nice for Valentine's Day this year. Being a new woodworker, I wanted to start off...easier. So, I went with a simple, smaller, 3-drawer jewelry "chest".

I'm working on dovetails for the outer shell, when I notice that after I shaved my tails smooth on one end of the top board that they were a little skinnier at their bases than the other end. Flip the board around... then start shaving down the other side when... *SNAP!* Off pops a tail...

*sigh*

I guess I'll just cut off the end and cut the tails again. It's only 3/4" of an inch shorter if I do that. And yet, it still feels like a huge error. Not only do I need to cut off 5 more perfectly good tails, but I need to do them all over again on that end.

I'm guessing I'm not alone in making this mistake..?

Some days you get the wood, some days the wood gets you. Can you glue the twin back in place with a reasonable fit?

Probably not. The base of the tail is very small. Unless I fit the dovetails and glue it in as a nonfunctional piece, it probably won't hold.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schubert View Post
    Probably not. The base of the tail is very small. Unless I fit the dovetails and glue it in as a nonfunctional piece, it probably won't hold.
    I hope others will chime in if this is a good idea but if this is one of 3 or more tails then it should be plenty strong even if this isn't functional.

Blog Entries
    I have fixed tails in a similar fashion. It is important that what remains will be strong enough to serve the intended purpose. It may be easier t make the project a touch smaller.

For me there seems to be a better proportional sense of strength with a bit more bulk to my pins and tails. As said in a previous thread about dovetails, the smallest part has to be wider than the chisel used to do the paring of the waste. I do not use my 1/8" chisel for dovetails.

I chopped out the tail instead of the waste once.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 02-04-2016 at 2:11 AM. Reason: wording
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I have plenty of projects that are a little smaller then my first drawings.

Just sigh and start over. Second time it'll be easier anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Kees Heiden View Post
    I have plenty of projects that are a little smaller then my first drawings.

Just sigh and start over. Second time it'll be easier anyway.

I make plenty of mistakes also....figure the lumber would have been rotting on a forest floor had it not been cut, more than happy to get another piece and try again...

Thanks, guys. I'm feeling a little better about this. Just need to move past it and do it again. It could always be worse!

Thanks, guys. I'm feeling a little better about this. Just need to move past it and do it again. It could always be worse!

Which is what is nice about hand tool wood working. Make another part....turn on some music or a ball game....drink a little coffee....get in the zone....shut off the cell phone.....ahhhh.....how many more parts can I make?

Blog Entries
    Post up some photos if you would, maybe the group can help out with some ideas. I have not had this trouble (knock on wood), it is possible that you may need to increase the thickness of the base.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Brian, I thinned the first set of tails because I saw the second set had gotten noticeably thinner after paring them to get a snug fit and square sides. So I went back to the first set and started paring again to thin them to match. Got a bit too thin on one of them and it snapped off.

I do have enough extra to start over, and it's early in the project. So perhaps that's the wisest suggestion.

Here's what the trails looked like before paring them down. Unfortunately, o don't have a photo of them now. I could get one tonight, if that would help.

I'm guessing I'm not alone in making this mistake..?
    "Nope, you are alone in this...... I usually do much WORSE"

For example:

Remove the tail and leave the waste. That is almost the same, but some how it feels worse. I only did that once.

I cut an entire box and I had failed to check for square. I figured that out after i had cut dovetails on all pieces and attempted a test assembly. Yeah, I got it together, but it was very much not square. My box is smaller now, and very square. The sad thing is that the boards were rather wide since it was on a carcass, not a drawer and the wood was very hard. So, it took longer than usual to cut.

OK, Maybe I have done something similar. I blew out a tail on the end of a board while test fitting. I guess that it was too tight, the box was small so that one tail was thin. I was able to use some glue and clamp it. You cannot tell.... it bent out along the grain cracking the board, but it did not completely split off.

I think that correcting your errors is a big part of wood working, but that might just be me. Like, how do you deal with a brass screw that broke? Drill it out, plug it, and move on.

I take it that you were trimming them down unsupported. Those are pretty thin tails. I usually see thin pins, not tails. They look clean though.

Pictures when you are finished so we can all enjoy it!

Yep, unsupported. Is there something I can use to support them before the pins are cut?

That's a pretty layout. I must say, I usually do the opposite: fat tails, and skinny pins. I wonder if the snap is a signal to you about the structural integrity of the joint. I am NOT saying redo it; I'm sure it'll be fine for a jewelry case; I certainly wouldn't; but I'm curious.

One bit of advice though, from a guy who's made a couple gifts for SWMBO: Fill that box with something shiny...

Sorry for your hiccup. If those were my dovetails (as shown in the photo), my worry would be in snapping one off during test fit up. I have a death fear of that and try to slightly chamfer the edges of the pins/tails on the inside of the box where it will not show as readily when working with smaller sized dovetails in thinner drawer sides.
    David