Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Ouch--Getting Saw Stop

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    Anyway i have digressed get the SawStop dont be a meat head like my co-workers!
    I would suggest the real takeaway is upgrade your co-workers.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Brandstetter View Post
    Okay, I will chime in with only MY thoughts.

I too got hurt a few months back with my lathe. It wasn't a huge issue and all is well now. My surgeon was awesome and got me back to almost normal. On my last visit, to get the pins pulled out, we had a discussion about woodworking and how often she sees guys and gals like me. Without prompting, she told me that the table saw was the #1 issue she sees. I was intrigued and continued to listen.

Her theory was that with most other tools, she said the woodworker could pull their hand back, minimizing injury and with the table saw, it pulls your hand in and down. It really got me thinking. My accident really scared me and I haven't got back on the lathe yet. I went through each tool, thinking about what she said and although I don't think it's the only tool like that (jointer, lathe), I think because it is used so much more than other tools, her thoughts from a medical standpoint are true.

I am going to get a sawstop as soon as I can afford it. I would also replace other tools if/when this technology is applied to them.

Again, just my thoughts, from a 50 year old with over 30 years of woodworking.
    10 years ago I using a BS. The wood suddenly split in half and my had jumped forward 3" into the blade. Although they said I had an even chance of losing the finger tip, they were surprised at how clean the cut was; usually it is mangled. I said it was a BS, not a TS. They said that explained it.

I started using pushblocks whether the need was obvious or not; who would have expected the wood to suddenly split? And... I got a SS.
    Only time I live on the edge is with a scroll saw, which I use to cut pills in half. I don't think I can get more than a superficial cut with it. Any scroll amputation stories to share?

The finger still feels funny, but I have it.

Yeah i know simple answer really.

Sadly i stay as its a consistant reliable 52 weeks of work a year, 7-3:30 for the most part all on the books, two weeks payed vacation, a decent wage in the high 20's, 401K matching decent health insurance. And i only ever work 15 minites from home to boot. Its kinda a trap, the co-workers are a real problem. Replicating all these other factors as a tradesman is not so easy!

Hopefully at some point something better will surface with more rational and profesional co-workers...

Get the SawStop keep your fingers!

40-50 hours a week behind a death trap on a job sight and i still am willing to pay the premium for a SawStop in my own shop for mostly weekend hobby use.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pleas View Post
    I would suggest the real takeaway is upgrade your co-workers.

Hi Wade,

thank you for sharing the story.
    I'll use a push stick for all BS applications from today....

Quote Originally Posted by Al Launier View Post
    So, whatever happened to the use of push pads?
    Exactly, simply don't put your hand near the blade. I use a push stick for anything 6" & under. I have had guys on the job rib me in some mis-guided macho fashion. A few of them have been bit...

The main thing I see in-experienced guys do is send junk (twisted, bowed, etc.) through the table saw. That is asking for, and usually results in trouble.

Also, get good side and outfeed support. I know of two guys that have been maimed reaching over the blade to grab the keeper piece as it exits the blade, and keeping it from falling to the floor....Amazingly stupid

No saw (or device) is going to replace common sense, forethought, and experience.
    That said, if I had employees working in my shop, a Sawstop is the only saw I would have. A no-brainer.
    I could care less about the inventor or his politics.

Ed, I had a similar experience about 3 yrs. ago. I nicked my left thumb while ripping a narrow board, using a push stick with my right hand. I made the mistake of reaching too close for the ripping and my left thumb touch the blade. My experience in wood working as a hobbyest goes back about 45 yrs with minimal accidents. I was fortunate, got a few stitches but lost some feeling in my left thumb. I had the support from my wife ( she loves that I have the wood working talent) so purchased the 3 HP professional model. Bottom line, it was a simple decision aimed at eliminating potential future accidents. I can't comment on the sliders. I'm very happy with the SS and am not looking back.

You could not pry my fully intact fingers away from my sawstop.

I had a nasty accident with my jointer in December (1st accident after years of shop work) and so I've reconsidered everything from strict use of push sticks up to a Sawstop. I've been working with an underpowered, 40 yr old hybrid TS now for a number of years and am ready for an upgrade.

Woodworking is just a hobby, and not one shared with my friends so what I've learned comes through personal experience and the Internet. There's YouTube channel (mtmwood) I enjoy from time to time and I believe the owner is Eastern European. Anyway, he uses a slider and I've found the motion/mechanics of the design to be appealing (and safe).

It sure would be nice if there were a greater selection of sliders here in the US, and I'm referring to pricing. Hammer and Minimax both look great but are a bit too rich for me. Grizzly has one closer to my price point but I don't see many reviews from users.

Seems like there would be market demand for sliders in the $2500-3500 range.

Glad it was not a lot worse. I Live about 45 min west of PHilly. I've had mine for a few years and love it. Never had a fire but its like an air bag its just nice to know its there if you need it. I've got the 5hp ICS. Such a great saw!

Good luck and a speedy recovery.

Patrick, look at used for sliders. Good well built ones are expensive because a slider that isn't stout doesn't hold settings. You will learn the definition of frustration if your slider doesn't keep a square cut. Used sliders are really cheap and generally all you need is a vfd to power the three phase. Dave

I have the 3hp pcs. A great saw. Just be sure to put the miter gauge in the correct slot.

I goofed and ruined a Forest blade.

I would like to chime in and say that about 8 months ago I went to wipe away a piece of scrap from the table saw as the blade was still spinning down and somehow managed to stick the tip of my finger in it and ripped the end of the finger off pretty good. Never once in the following seconds did I think that I need to get a saw stop now. I thought well that was a really stupid thing to do and you probably shouldn't do that anymore.

I would also like to point out that anyone that thinks that if you have a saw stop its a guarantee that your finger won't cut off or injured you are wrong. Saw stop technology is great but that saw represents less then 1 percent of active table saws in the world. To assume there will never be a malfunction is hubris and there is something to the theory "well this saw can't ever hurt me so I don't need to practice safe saw technique." I guess my biggest gripe with saw stop guy is I have never once heard why a simple free push stick made from scrap wood won't work and to be honest with is actually a safer bet to keep all of your limbs attached.

The best way to not cut your fingers off is to not put them near a spinning blade. A properly used and fitted slider excels at keeping your fingers away from the blade. As a bonus, it brings a lot of extra capabilities to your shop (straight line ripping, sheet goods handling, crosscut capabilities, etc...)

A number of people that have posted that they've sold their SS and switched to a slider, and many more that have stated that they settled on a SS (usually stated cost or small shop as their reasoning), but really wanted a slider. But, I have yet to read about anyone who's sold their euro slider and bought a SS. I'm just sayin'!

Just speaking from my own experience, the shop accident caused lost revenue since I couldnt work my self -employed desk job effectively, plus medical expenses...and it hurt.

Not all of us are as meticulous as we could be with the push sticks, safety glasses, DC, and so forth. The sawtop technology is just one of those measures. But of course everyone is free to pick and choose.

I'm keeping my eyes open for used sliders but I has some apprehension about repairing these larger pieces of equipment if it became necessary. Cabinet saws to me seem pretty simple but an industrial slider might be above my capabilities, and parts could be cost prohibitive. just a concern .

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Weber View Post
    The best way to not cut your fingers off is to not put them near a spinning blade. A properly used and fitted slider excels at keeping your fingers away from the blade. As a bonus, it brings a lot of extra capabilities to your shop (straight line ripping, sheet goods handling, crosscut capabilities, etc...)

A number of people that have posted that they've sold their SS and switched to a slider, and many more that have stated that they settled on a SS (usually stated cost or small shop as their reasoning), but really wanted a slider. But, I have yet to read about anyone who's sold their euro slider and bought a SS.
    If I had the money and the space, I'd have both a SawStop and a slider. But space is a real problem (well, money is also a problem) so I stick with my PCS SS and a track saw.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.