Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Piercing tools .... recommendations please.

I've used both the cheap contra angle handpieces and the NSK presto, and for the forms I use, I prefer the Presto.

Some folks have spoke of problems plumbing the contra angle hand pieces. The interface is an ISO standard. You can buy a hose assembly on ebay for $15 that screws onto the back, just get the hole count right.

NSK Presto
    Pros
    You hold the Presto like a pen, so existing muscle memory still works.
    If both sides of the piercing are visible, you need the bur square with the piece to get consistent ribs on both sides. The strait Presto style gives a better visual reference.

Cons
    Moderately expensive

Cheap Contra Angle
    Pros
    Cheap!
    If you are piercing a hollow form, the internal ribs do not need the same constancy as on an open form

Cons
    Tool geometry not easy to work with on concave surfaces, handle can get in the way
    Holding the tool requires developing new muscle memory unless you already use this tool type for other reasons.
    Eric Holmquist
    C&C Always Welcome

Thanks for the insights Eric, very helpful.

Tim

Check out the systems that Arizona Gourd sells, without compressor $304,with a compressor $6i5. After those the prices are you limits.

Glynn Cox did a demo which is on Utube courtesy of the Denton Wood Turners, it's the best I've see if you are interested in trying a cheaper handpiece to see if it is for you, If in fact you do try and like it all the set-up, save the hand piece and the hose connector, can be used if you want to spend the big bucks for an NSK.
    Here's a link to the video. Incidentally in the notes under the video can be found a link to the PDF Handout he refers to. Well worth the look.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P8Zh_pI-tU
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .