Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bifocal safety glasses

Bifocal safety glasses

Looking for some reviews/feedback on these. I have a pair now, but they're getting old/scratched, etc. and I need a new pair(s). Not sure where I even got these. I had purchased another pair some time ago but they're too strong. I need about a 1.25 or 1.50.

Considerations:
    1. Would prefer a larger lens, as I don't normally wear bifocals and a smaller lens is harder to get used to
    2. don't really care what they look like
    3. don't need sunglasses
    4. price doesn't matter much, but cheaper is always better
    5. doesn't matter about strap, or adjustable temples either

I only want these for in the shop or when doing home repair stuff. Anybody have some they're really happy with?\
    edit: goggles would be ok too
    Last edited by Rick Moyer; 02-04-2016 at 11:04 AM. Reason: added comment

Blog Entries
    I have a pair (Liberty Sport) that doubles as sport lenses for soccer. Wraparound style with back strap. There are other brands as well. The prescription and high impact lenses are the issue. I am farsighted so glasses are never off my face.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Rick,

I have transitional safety glasses I use in the shop. I particularly like them because instead of the 2 zones that I understand bifocals have, the transitionals give a continuous range of focus from near to far. I had mine set up more like computer glasses so they're weighted more to the closer distances. I don't need to focus at infinity in the shop.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Polubinsky View Post
    Rick,

I have transitional safety glasses I use in the shop. I particularly like them because instead of the 2 zones that I understand bifocals have, the transitionals give a continuous range of focus from near to far. I had mine set up more like computer glasses so they're weighted more to the closer distances. I don't need to focus at infinity in the shop.

Cliff
    I don't need correction for distance, only close. Need clear ( no correction) on top and near-distance correction on the bottom. Sorry if that was confusing in original post.

Any insight as to what kind or where you got them?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    I had purchased another pair some time ago but they're too strong. I need about a 1.25 or 1.50.
    An option to consider if you want to experiment with different powers: stick-on bifocal lenses like these. Before I was finally prescribed bifocals along with my regular eyeglass prescription, I used them when fly fishing. They stick on with moisture and leave no residue when removed. I don't think they'd be great for long term use given how dusty our work is...but it might be worth it to find what you like.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Crews Bearcat safety glasses with bifocal. Check Amazon. I love mine and wear all around the house.
    Very comfortable and the bifocal area is just right to not obstruct regular vision and work perfect for when I need them.

Also about 5 bucks each.

I get my prescription glasses as safety glasses. They are the progresive ones'. They are set up as computer glasses. I get the transition lenses. They even are a lot cheaper on my vision insurance. Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Luna View Post
    An option to consider if you want to experiment with different powers: stick-on bifocal lenses like these.
    Interesting. I'm looking for something to make one side focus short to my pistol sight. The other side for distance to the targets. I just may try those.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I have prescription safety glasses (for distance, not bifocals, about -6 and ~-7) from Walmart, the other local places I tried couldn't do them. They were $90 w/o any insurance.

Years ago when I was scuba diving I had my ophthalmologist make a pair of stick on lenses for my mask. Worked very well and never had a problem.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Peachtree Woodworkers Supply has them too for $7.99. I guess with shipping Amazon is probably cheaper.

http://www.ptreeusa.com/shop_safety_glasses.htm

scroll down some to see what they've got.

OK, maybe I wasn't clear on my question. I know where to find these. I don't need prescription ones.

I want clear lens with a 1.5 diopter lower for close vision, and I really want feedback from those who have used similar and have some opinion on same.
    Some of you have answered my inquiry. Thank you. If anyone has some recommendations based on usage I would appreciate it.

I use an OptiVisor to see up close. Might want to take a look at those. My OptiVisor has lasted over 20 years.