Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bifocal safety glasses

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    OK, maybe I wasn't clear on my question. I know where to find these. I don't need prescription ones.

I want clear lens with a 1.5 diopter lower for close vision, and I really want feedback from those who have used similar and have some opinion on same.
    Some of you have answered my inquiry. Thank you. If anyone has some recommendations based on usage I would appreciate it.
    I have bifocal safety glasses I purchases at Lowes. They had a variety of diopters.

I have purchased from safetyglassesusa.com about 5 years back and expect they are still out there. They had bifocal safety glasses with side shields that had larger bifocal area good for working with larger visible range. I ended up needing to wear trifocals so do not wear them now.

I wear these daily http://www.rockler.com/fastcap-bifocal-safety-glasses

Current pair has held up well for several months of daily use.

I ordered a pair of the Dewalts like Marty mentioned above. Should be here tomorrow.

I messed around with many different kinds of safety glasses for years, my prescription is strong enough that for a long time the materials required for safety glasses produced a very disturbing cylindrical distortion that gave me headaches. The most recent time I went to the safety glasses van they had a new, very high refractive index, high strength plastic available that could be fabricated into OSHA compliant glasses with progressive lenses that are nearly indistinguishable from my street glasses. I'm thrilled with them! The downside is, of course, cost (~$400) -- but they work so well I'd buy them even if the company weren't paying.

For simple magnification it's hard to beat the optivisor.

I wear bifocals +2/+4. For skiing and kayaking I wear +2.5 single focus sunglasses. They are good enough.

If I were you, I would consider +1 single focus. You will have a much easier time using them than bifocals and they would work well enough.

I bought mine online somewhere...I don't recall where. The biggest challenge for me is finding them with a larger, full width close view lens portion...so many of them have this tiny magnification area that's just a pain to work with. IMHO, of course...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...