Thread: Yorkcraft Jointer

Yorkcraft Jointer

Last summer I bought a used Yorkcraft 8" jointer. While the jointer was hardly used it has a little corrosion on it underneath. The in feed table seems to be frozen to the main body of the jointer. I am unable to get it moving up or down. I have used a lot of PB blaster and tried to get it in the dovetail joint, but still no budge.

I only paid $250 for it but I am now afraid I am going to have to pay that to throw it away.

Any suggestions, other then making certain the table moves on the next one I buy.

Thanks Rob

Let it sit with PB Blaster or Kroil for a few days, then torch it and see if it budges?

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

are you sure there isn't a locking mechanism that needs to be loosened before adjusting table?

Quote Originally Posted by keith wootton View Post
    are you sure there isn't a locking mechanism that needs to be loosened before adjusting table?
    That, or the gib adjusters are too tight. Look on the back of the table.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by keith wootton View Post
    Well the manual for this jointer is a partial clone of the Delta Jointer and it is written in "Chinese English" which means "I am not sure about any locking mechanism"

Wish I new somebody with this jointer or the Delta 8" jointer.

I took the gib screws out for the purpose of shooting PB blaster in them.

Maybe you can find a better manual under Wilke Machinery. They did go out of business from what I've read.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

If you have some hydraulic oil, put that in the holes. Hydraulic oil kindof absorbs moisture.

Thanks all

I got in feed table to move. One of the three Gig screws was not all the way out. Two of them backed out by finger roll. The other I needed to use the Allen wrench on to back out.

PB blaster helped too.

Rob

Download the manual from grizzly or jet. The jointer is very similar to those.
    Don

By the way, I'm looking for a good oil to put on this machine to keep it from rusting. Something I can also put on top of the tables too and not muck up my lumber. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Paste wax. You can use it for the table movements also.

You may want to take it completely apart and clean everything. Use a wire wheel on all of the bare metal and bolts etc. Paste wax everything and put it back together. I have a grinder with a course and fine wire wheel to clean everything. You can then set it according to the manual. It could be a good time to get new knives.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Wachtell View Post
    By the way, I'm looking for a good oil to put on this machine to keep it from rusting. Something I can also put on top of the tables too and not muck up my lumber. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Oil? Nope. Paste wax.
    NO silicon.