Thread: American Holly sources

American Holly sources

Hey All,
    It seems since I took a small hiatus form turning last year, there has become somewhat of a shortage for Finial material, mainly American Holly. My usual source has dried up and others don't seem to carry anything but pen blanks and 4/4 lumber. I always used to be able to find 6/4 or 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" sticks from 12" to 24", but have not been able to find any for some HF's I am wanting to finish with finials. Has anyone a good source for Holly? It seems any I have found has a cost similar to Blackwood or black Ebony.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

Ken,
    You might try: http://www.domexhardwoods.com/

Do you want pure white holly or can you stand a bit of color cast? Even my stock of pure white is about gone. I read that holly is easily bleached to pure white but I haven't tried that.

There was a vendor at the TAW symposium the end of Jan who had what looked to me like a bunch of maybe 1.5 or 2" holly spindle blanks on his table. I didn't stop inquire and I didn't even notice his name, but from the symposium vendor list I suspect it was Century Tree Turnings http://www.centurytreeturnings.com/ since there is only one other on the list (Big Monk) and I know it wasn't Pete. The Century web site indicates they are a domestic wood dealer.

If you only want pure white I can try to ask a friend who had a source when he was doing a lot of rose engine turning. Send me a note if you want me to ask.

JKJ

Thanks Malcolm,
    I hope all is well with you and your's. I have tried domexhardwoods, but they don't seem to have 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" stock available but I have left them a message, so well see. Thanks.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

John,
    I sent you a PM
    Regards, Ken