Thread: Anyone connect a 6 inch duct to a Grizzly G1023 TS?

Anyone connect a 6 inch duct to a Grizzly G1023 TS?

I've read where some of you have connected a 6 inch duct or hose directly to your TS and got exceedingly better results. I am in process of setting up my new 3 HP cyclone with a 6 inch main and trying to run 6 inch branches to most machines.

But my Grizzly G1023 TS has me stumped. The plastic port adapter that comes with it is, of course, for a 4 inch connection. But when I removed it there is a rectangular hole, that measures 2" x 4 3/4", and a round hole above it that measures 1 3/4" in diameter. Inside the machine the rectangular hole is just above the elevated, slightly slanted bottom. And the round port has a hose that goes up to a semicircular plastic piece that encloses the bottom half of the blade. I'm assuming this was done for better suction right at the blade.

I wouldn't have an issue with cutting a larger hole for 6 inch ducting if I knew it would help a lot. The problem then might be what to do about the small hose. Should it be removed along with the plastic piece around the blade?

Or would I be better off just leaving the present connection intact and hope that the higher air flow of my new cyclone would be sufficient for good dust evacuation. If I did my math correctly, the rectangular hole and round hole equal 11.9 square inches while 4 and 6 inch holes are 12.56 and 28.27 square inches respectively. If I leave the 4 inch port as is would it be beneficial to run 6 inch ducting all the way and then make the reduction to 4 inch right at the machine?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm running 6" duct to my Grizzly G0715P, and I think it helps quite a bit with dust extraction. I always used to have piles of sawdust collecting in the corners of the cabinet; now it's pretty much spotless inside. And I believe I get less sawdust outside the machine as well.

I took off the original 4" port and cut a 6" hole so that it would be hidden if I ever sell the machine and decide to put the 4" port back on - the port just barely covers the hole, but it's good enough. I used a 6" HVAC flange with sticky foam backing to make the connection between saw and 6" flex hose.

I posted details and photos of my setup a month or so ago http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?239405-Grizzly-G0441-Cyclone-Install-Photos-amp-Info

In answer to your quest about the small hose, I'd leave it in place and build up a "box" to cover both of the existing holes, with a 6" port in the side. You'll get increased airflow (mostly) from the large, square hole but you should also get better suction from the small port that goes up to the blade shroud.
    Last edited by Marty Tippin; 02-05-2016 at 1:03 PM.