Thread: PC 690 variable speed problems

PC 690 variable speed problems

I was using my variable speed PC690 in the fixed base on my DeWalt track saw track to cut big rabbets for a goofy little project - putting a door in. That should be a simple project but when they added the dining room to our house (previous owner) they did not take down the brick or exterior wall. So I had to have either a 14 inch thick opening or take down a lot of brick and a wall. My wife couldn't bear the thought of a 14 inch wall so I had to do it the right way. And now I have to put a subfloor in that is at the right height for the hardwood to run from room to room. The two rooms are not quite at the same elevation at this doorway. And the subfloor is different thickness in the two rooms. So the new subfloor has to account for this.

Anyway, anybody with experience fixing the variable speed on a PC690? I have a single speed motor too which I used to finish but I would like to have both motors functioning correctly. The variable speed one will turn but not at full speed, regardless of where the control is. I have four bases for these routers so don't really want to use this as an excuse to get something different.

Not much help; you've over stressed the thing. Totaled the VS.
    It is a medium range tool. Can take short excursions into stress-ville but not for long.
    Expect 100$ if DW/PC fixes it. Perfect excuse now to buy a big router that can handle your new job.

P-C seems to have its issues with variable speed controllers. I'm not sure about 690s but I have an 8529 whose variable speed died. I removed it and use an external router speed control if I want variable speed. Some router speed control issues were due to bad capacitors - you could look on the speed control board for any 'don't look right' capacitors. They look like tiny tin cans I think.

Quote Originally Posted by pat warner View Post
    Not much help; you've over stressed the thing. Totaled the VS.
    It is a medium range tool. Can take short excursions into stress-ville but not for long.
    Expect 100$ if DW/PC fixes it. Perfect excuse now to buy a big router that can handle your new job.
    Pat,

I don't think I over stressed it because I made the exact same cut, or more, with the single speed motor with no issues. I listen for a louder noise from universal motors when the load is heavy for them and there was none of that either. I was cutting 1/4 deep with a 3/4 bit and was usually taking less than 3/4 at a time. I did a full 3/4 cut with the single speed, however, and it was fine. I agree with you on the cost of repair. New 690s are not very expensive and it wouldn't be hard for the repair to cost about as much as another router.

I appreciate the thought on the variable speed deletion. I rarely use the variable speed and I have a separate controller too (purchased for a bigger router which I also have).

Thanks for the thoughts.

Jim

Total waste/pass =~3/4 x 1/4? Cutter dimensions = ?

1/4 deep, 3/4 wide.

Grossly over worked the cutter and router.
    I'd guess the cutter is black x now.
    Plungers are made for this sort of thing.
    They take as much or as little/pass as you'd like.
    That cut, depending on the cutter dimensions, should have been ~<1/8 (in z)/pass.
    I got through a piece of 3/4" thick aluminum with a plunger and a skinny bit.

Through slot.jpg

Pat,

The cutter is not black nor dull. I took that quarter inch off a piece of plywood over an area about 4 inches by 36 inches plus a narrow strip 3/4 inches wide by 8 feet. The bit is fine, ready for the next use. The single speed 690 is also fine. It never complained. I'm pretty surprised at your comments. I have over 4 decades experience and have had a 690 about that long. I know when routers are straining. This one was not. I don't know what you mean by "plunger" but I have a plunge base for my 690 motors too. It doesn't change their power. Perhaps you are suggesting it is easier with a plunge router to do multiple passes. I would agree with that except that cutting this large an area had to be done in one pass so the router was properly supported. I tried it, wondering if the router would start to complain but it didn't so I continued.

The amount of material being removed is similar to using a cope and stick bit. 690s do that all the time (and very well). Any mid-sized router will.

Jim