Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: any tips for turning air?

A natural void is a warning sign - it's always a weak point, and may connect to hidden cracks or bark inclusions.
    Here ya go - void, bark inclusion, hidden cracks, and turning air on the corners. This one came apart on me several times while turning. I was prepared and stood to the side. Finished it with stubbornness + glue.

Wear a face shield.

penta_plates_comp_cropped.jpg

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Wager View Post
    This one might be obvious, but I have found it helpful to make sure there is a good contrast between the wood color and the background along with good lighting, especially when the air is near the rim of the piece. You aren't turning air, you are turning the ghost of the wood that used to be there.

Good point. I try to position the light to get the best shadows.
    Then take really light cuts, from the inside outwards. I use a medium gouge, with a very high angle of attack. So the cuts slice, and don't contact hard.

This one was fun.

image.jpg

On shaped pieces it can help to chalk the corners so they are visible when spinning. And you can chalk the toolrest where cutting will start.

Nobody commented on my (naive) idea of abrading - either a rasp or, more likely, sanding. I know you guys power sand on a lathe - why wouldn't that be a good idea on the thin rims of bowls with the "ghosts" of the wood? Almost by definition it would limit the depth of cut. Is it a principal kind of thing where you try to do everything with a blade? I'm genuinely curious. I love sanding (with Abranet, quiet sanders like a Mirka, and excellent dust collection) and how controllable the process is.

To the A, anchor the tool on the tool rest part, to me, this is still 'hold the tool as you would a bird'. The spin of the wood will keep the tool on the tool rest, and you just rest your support arm/hand on the tool, don't push down hard.

robo hippy

To the A, anchor the tool on the tool rest part, to me, this is still 'hold the tool as you would a bird'. The spin of the wood will keep the tool on the tool rest, and you just rest your support arm/hand on the tool, don't push down hard.
    I mostly agree with this, and I usually hold the tool lightly. But if there is bounce, vibration/chatter on almost any tool, even a skew or a scraper, one thing I try besides a stouter tool is pressing the tool a little firmer onto the rest and this often helps. I have never found a need for the 800 lb gorilla death grip but when moving the tool from the air into a spinning winged piece I do better if I consciously anchor the tool on the rest. Maybe just remembering to think about it is enough.

It would be interesting to somehow quantify the exact force different turners use for different cuts. Ah, I can see it now - instrument the tool and rest with accelerometers and static force sensors, tracking movement and pressure in each axis, synchronized with a video. See how we do things differently with spindles, hollow forms, roughing big chunks, etc.

JKJ

Well John, I am still learning... It has taken me a long time to learn to feel on spindles when the tool and bevel pressure is greater than the stabilizing hand pressure. I use the same exercise when turning the inside walls of a bowl. When going down the outside of the bowl, with a bevel rubbing cut, you always pick up some bounce, which I figure comes from grain orientation. The more I fight it, the worse it gets. I get much less if I go gently, and with almost no downward pressure on the tool rest or bevel. Pretty much the same seems to apply to unnatural edges, though I need to do some more of them. Haven't tried it in a while...

robo hippy

Would someone take a second to answer my question about abrading over cutting? Pretty please? ?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pleas View Post
    Would someone take a second to answer my question about abrading over cutting? Pretty please? ?
    If you are talking about abrading with the machine running, it doesn't work out that well! How do you hold the abrasive just the right distance from the work?( if natural edge) How do you stop the abrasive from rounding of the corners of the work at the incoming point of contact? Bringing a blank into round would be a very slow, frustrating process i think! How do you get the precise shape you desire??

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Brown View Post
    I will try to balance better. I get nervous turning faster because the vibration gets word. Better balance, less vibe. Last time I tried it, my tools may not have been as sharp as they could be. I'll try some of your suggestions. Cover me, I'm going in.
    I spent some time Tuesday with an AAW mentor turning a bowl from rough stock, and one thing he showed me is how there can be low vibration at one speed, then it might get rougher at a higher speed, but turning it up a bit more things smoothed out. Harmonics I guess? So there may be more than one speed at which your bowl blank creates little or less vibration.

I was fortunate to spend a few days with Jimmy Clewes in his shop in Las Vegas and he addressed this question pretty much the same as Steve with the exception of "slightly higher speed." I had the lathe at 2000 rpm and he said "put it up all the way, mate." I asked him if he was serious. His reaction made me feel like a coward so I maxed it out. The lathe sounded like it was on the verge of achieving liftoff but with a light touch to the wood and a heavy and steady touch of the tool on the toolrest, it worked. Watch out for the knuckles, though.
    I fish, therefore I am. I woodturn when I can't fish.

As with any piece without much support to the edge, I finish turn and finish sand the exterior of the piece completely before hollowing. Then hollow and finish sand down a short distance, often only one inch at a time allowing the solid wood below to provide support. Certainly doesn't eliminate the need for tool control but certainly reduces bounce and recoil from thin unsupported wood/air.

Keith,
    I am trying to figure out if you mean some thing like holding a rasp up to the spinning wood. I do remember seeing Norm Abrams on his New Yankee woodshop show, and he was turning some spindles and using a rasp. The problem with one of them, is that it may work, but hand tool skills are much better, and faster. With a natural edged bowl, you would get some flexing with the wood, and guiding a rasp would probably require a form, and I think it would be dangerous. I have heard of using some thing like a credit card with sand paper on it so it wouldn't dip in between the uneven surfaces, and you may be able to do a firm, or slightly flexible form, but a soft foam form would deform as soon as it hit the wood, so no real control there, and you would have very uneven surfaces. Not sure if this answers your question or not.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by BILL DONAHUE View Post
    Jimmy Clewes... I had the lathe at 2000 rpm and he said "put it up all the way, mate." ... Watch out for the knuckles, though.
    i submit that watching out for the knuckles is just as important at 2000 RPM as wide open!

With continuous wood I think a higher speed works better because we can advance the tool a shorter distance for each revolution. For interrupted cuts, I suspect the inertia of the tool also contributes to a smoother cut at higher speeds.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Rutter View Post
    If you are talking about abrading with the machine running, it doesn't work out that well! How do you hold the abrasive just the right distance from the work?( if natural edge) How do you stop the abrasive from rounding of the corners of the work at the incoming point of contact? Bringing a blank into round would be a very slow, frustrating process i think! How do you get the precise shape you desire??
    Yes, I'm imagining it must be controlled. I was thinking of something like a sanding block (or profiled sanding block for more complex shapes) held against a tool rest. Yes, super slow - but with all the cautions for turning that must be a slow process as well. And the point would be to reduce blowouts rather than high production speeds. By introducing the action supported by the rest I also believe that the piece would stay round.

But I could also imagine a rasp with the tip held on the tool rest and the rasp tilted to the workpiece for more aggressive removal. The "depth" of the cut (of the teeth) would be fixed.

Achieving a sharp edge to the turning would be difficult, but for measured and controlled removal of material the principle seems reasonable (to me )
    Last edited by Keith Pleas; 02-12-2016 at 2:09 PM.