Thread: Tongue and groove planes, how much slop?

Tongue and groove planes, how much slop?

I can get a tongue and groove plane set, but the grooving plane leaves quite a wider groove then the tongueing plane makes the tongue. How much slop would be reasonable?

I have a narrow set from the 18th century and that makes a very tight fitting tongue and groove, but I am not familiar enough with these planes to know if that is reasonable or not.

I would want the joint to be self supporting when together but not so tight you have to knock it together.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Kees Heiden View Post
    I can get a tongue and groove plane set, but the grooving plane leaves quite a wider groove then the tongueing plane makes the tongue. How much slop would be reasonable?

I have a narrow set from the 18th century and that makes a very tight fitting tongue and groove, but I am not familiar enough with these planes to know if that is reasonable or not.
    Depends on the glue... I personally wouldn't accept anything over a few mils if I planned to use yellow glue, though I recall Franklin's spec being a bit higher than that (10 mils or so IIRC?)

Blog Entries
    My thought has always been that the joint should be self aligning with little or no room for slop.

My only plane used for doing tongue and groove work is a Stanley #45. The T&G comes out tight enough that I may need to hit the tongue or groove with a shoulder or side rabbet plane to take a shaving or two off to fit the joint.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I have and use a Union #41. It is a single plane that does both tongue and grove via rotating fence and two irons. I have had it for a long time but seem to think they sell around $40-50. Stanley made one after buying out union but I don't know the number. Mine works great

Thanks. The planes I can buy have about 2 mm slop. I could of course grind the grooving iron a bit narrower, but it seems that they have the wrong irons.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kees Heiden View Post
    Thanks. The planes I can buy have about 2 mm slop. I could of course grind the grooving iron a bit narrower, but it seems that they have the wrong irons.
    They may also have a mismatched set. This happens often when pairs are broken up and someone tries to put two planes together at a later date. I have a wooden tonguing plane without a grooving plane to go with it. It sits in a box with other planes waiting for the day they get to come out and play.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

image.jpg
    This is from one of the few pairs I've seen with original
    latching irons. They match exactly at this point and will not
    move.
    hope it helps!
    “Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”
    ― Henry Ford

Yes that is exactly like my own very narrow pair. I'll pass on the current offer.

A T&G plane is in this year's todo list so this thread is pretty interesting.