Thread: Delta 46-460 Bearing replacements

Delta 46-460 Bearing replacements

No doubt this has been covered, but I can't spot a thread. The clicking I am hearing may be a worn bearing in the headstock. Delta has these ball bearings in stock, so no problem.

Were there other replacement bearings that are any higher quality? As long as I am replacing them, might as well step up if I can.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Are you only hearing the clicking at low speed?
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Did you check all the set screws for the pulleys and possibly a spindle lock?

I'll check, Sid. And no I have not, Dick. Good idea.

I bought my upgraded bearings at my local bearing distributor. I took in the old bearings and they matched the size with a better grade. Actually cost me less than buying the bearings from the Delta site. But mine was not the Delta Midi, but any good bearing place should be able tell you if they are standard sized or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    I'll check, Sid. And no I have not, Dick. Good idea.
    I do have that lathe, to make sure it is the bearings, take off the Chuck and check both the handwheel (has to set screws, to see it they are tight) and also the Pulley.

Then also remove the belt and turn the spindle by hand, that should pretty well tell you if it is indeed the bearings, they usually rumble rather than click if they get bad HTH
    Have fun and take care

I was talking to the guy who runs our local allied technologies and he said the Timken bearing are about the only usa made bearing left and he thought overall they are the best out there. I know when I have used them I had good luck with them.

A few years ago my 460 ran into the same annoying "clicking like sound". The frequency was one click per belt revolution.
    I removed the belt and cleaned it with soapy water and my wife's toothbrush. Before reinstalling I wiped down the pulley groves with a damp cloth; and, of course, also rinsed and dried the belt.

*In my case Black Walnut seemed to be the culprit.
    I had no issues for a good week while turning Avodire and Tamarind exclusively.
    After completing two Walnut bottle stoppers the sound reared its ugly head once more. Though, not as loud.
    Redheads are like other women – only more so

Thank you for all the help and the joke is on me. It was clicking at slow speed, once per chuck revolution. Turns out it was a jaw screw that had fallen out and was making noise like a quarter in a clothes drier.

IF my bearings ever give out I will receive the advise of taking the bearings to a local place and getting replacements there

That is the exact reason I ask if it was only at low speed. Have the same thing happen to me.
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Matheny View Post
    That is the exact reason I ask if it was only at low speed. Have the same thing happen to me.
    Yup just like Sid I was thinking of a loose jaw or something like a loose hand wheel, I was doubting that a bearing would make a click sound, but something loose would/could do it.

So taking off the chuck would eliminate that first cause, and then on to the next.

Better finding this than bad bearings, that Delta has quality bearings, they should last a long time if not abused
    Have fun and take care