Thread: A little workshop art

A little workshop art

Hi,

The other day someone here posted a vintage 1934 ad for a Delta band saw, very cool. It so happens a fellow woodworker friend recently bought a 1950's vintage Delta band saw and has been dousing it with restoration TLC. You know that honeymoon period right after buying a significant tool for your shop.....

So I got the idea to make him a gift by taking the ad, decoupaging it to a piece of plywood, age it with some tinted shellac and call it shop art for the wall. Should look pretty cool hanging on the wall right behind its own descendant saw (which looks no different than the one in the ad by the way.

I have stuff like this all over my shop walls. Cheers,

band saw ad decoupage.JPG

band saw ad decoupage 2.JPG
    Last edited by Glenn de Souza; 02-07-2016 at 1:11 AM.

I can't view the attachments.

What a thoughtful gift.
    Well done!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Hey Glenn, that's very cool!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you search you can find the Manufacturers and Builders Newspapers from the late 1800's to early 1900's online. These newspapers are full of antique tools and machine advertisements suitable for framing if you download the large files. I used these for the SawMill Creek calendar that I produced several years ago.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-08-2016 at 11:24 AM. Reason: sp

Neat idea.

Great idea!

Very cool!

Blog Entries
    That's a great idea for a gift !

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    If you search you can find the Manufacturers and Builders Newspapers from the late 1800's to early 1900's online. These newspapers are full of antique tools and machine advertisements suitable for framing if you download the large files. I used these for the SawMill Creek calendar that I produced several years ago.
    Keith...do you happen to have any links??

I find when I buy small tools that come in cardboard boxes that the box does not last. So in between other projects, I will sometimes make a little box for the tool.

This rotary tool got a new home a few weeks ago -- but I have not much of a shop. Buddies have big shops. They have politically-incorrect posters displayed freely and openly as if male taste and humour were something to celebrate.

As I said, I lack such a shop. However, I have begun enjoying the same kind of laser print transfers onto my tool boxes as Glenn shared.

rotary toolbox.jpg

BTW: The box is made of 1/2 baltic birch with mitered corners to eliminate the end grain.

That is awesome Glenn! I tried to do something similar by printing backward onto a label page with the labels removed, but could only get it done with very small things that didn't move.

Barry,

I have been though several computers since I downloaded the M&B Newspapers but I will try to find the link for you. I spent many hours saving the files over several days long ago but I often visit the files when I'm looking for odd information from the past.

When I was offering the SawMill Creek File Attachments DVD's I included the M&B Newspaper folder on every disk along with over 2500 public domain fonts.

Here is the link to the library at Cornell University

http://ebooks.library.cornell.edu/m/manu/manu.html
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 02-09-2016 at 11:29 PM.

Now that's cool!