Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Harbor Freight- the Rodney Dangerfield of Tools

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post

Also a fan of the HF nitrile gloves and recently saw they carry 10mil thick ones - those are thicker than the current box I have. Will try those next time.
    I use the 10mil gloves when I'm working on the dragster or anything automotive. They are great.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I purchased a drywall gun there and it leaves the bit in the screwhead about 85% of the time. About a week later I found a dewalt at an estate sale and purchased that for less than the HF version. The bit stays in the gun all the time. It's so frustrating to use the drywall gun that I don't. It just sits and is among the things I could get rid of and just resign myself to a loss. I do have many of their wrench sets but figure something like that is hard to mess up. I also know a carpenter that would buy all of his tools there. .... I know others who won't step foot. It would be nice to have a list of "jems"

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel O'Neill View Post
    I purchased a drywall gun there and it leaves the bit in the screwhead about 85% of the time. About a week later I found a dewalt at an estate sale and purchased that for less than the HF version. The bit stays in the gun all the time. It's so frustrating to use the drywall gun that I don't. It just sits and is among the things I could get rid of and just resign myself to a loss. I do have many of their wrench sets but figure something like that is hard to mess up. I also know a carpenter that would buy all of his tools there. .... I know others who won't step foot. It would be nice to have a list of "jems"
    Did you try a different apex holder. I have some that hold the tips real good and others that don't. The best ones were the Milwuakee with a thread cap and o ring

Thanks, I'll give it a shot! At the time I needed two guns anyway. Now I could do with one but it would be better to have one to sell/give that works decently.

They have a lot of junk and some real gems. Sometimes the junk can be fine for the job. For example, a soft blow hammer is going to get beat up pretty fast in use regardless of quality. If the good one lasts twice as long and costs 5 times as much the HF one, I'll take the HF one for my use. Same for their anvils. But a vise? Absolutely NOT. Some of their items like the fabric covered soaker hoses are twice as good and half the price of the ones at the BORG.

Another problem is the quality keeps changing. They have one caster that works pretty well but the bin contains 3 different item numbers from 3 different suppliers. So far, one is working out. Cheap Chinese products are subject to constant change so we don't know how long we can count on that product.

Really not that different from Grex nailers, their P6xx pinner is great, the 1850GB bradder is OK, the rest of their line is junk.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg R Bradley View Post
    They have a lot of junk and some real gems. Sometimes the junk can be fine for the job. For example, a soft blow hammer is going to get beat up pretty fast in use regardless of quality. If the good one lasts twice as long and costs 5 times as much the HF one, I'll take the HF one for my use. Same for their anvils. But a vise? Absolutely NOT. Some of their items like the fabric covered soaker hoses are twice as good and half the price of the ones at the BORG.

Another problem is the quality keeps changing. They have one caster that works pretty well but the bin contains 3 different item numbers from 3 different suppliers. So far, one is working out. Cheap Chinese products are subject to constant change so we don't know how long we can count on that product.

Really not that different from Grex nailers, their P6xx pinner is great, the 1850GB bradder is OK, the rest of their line is junk.
    Forgot about the fabric soaker hoses when I made my gem list. They are awesome. Agree about the winds of change. Model numbers are constantly changing and you never know if it's really the same thing or not.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Agree with Terry about the soaker hoses ,AND around here HF had them way before the BORGS.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel O'Neill View Post
    Thanks, I'll give it a shot! At the time I needed two guns anyway. Now I could do with one but it would be better to have one to sell/give that works decently.
    Take the harbor freight one with you to match the length. I do like the ones with a snap ring in them also.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Agree with Terry about the soaker hoses ,AND around here HF had them way before the BORGS.
    ^^ Yup. I do wish they still had the 25' length though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I picked up a 72" and 48" box level for less than the 48 would cost me anywhere else. Checked them against other levels and they were dead on.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Nossen View Post
    I picked up a 72" and 48" box level for less than the 48 would cost me anywhere else. Checked them against other levels and they were dead on.
    I've not ventured into the levels. Most of the HF measuring stuff I've seen is not the greatest. I might have to try one of those 72 inchers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have a couple of their nailers that have proven reliable and I buy their nitrile gloves. That's about as far as I'm willing to test their quality. If I was just starting out buying equipment I might feel differently.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Hatfield View Post
    I've not ventured into the levels. Most of the HF measuring stuff I've seen is not the greatest. I might have to try one of those 72 inchers.
    I've got one. Can't say I use it much but I've never had a problem with it when I have.

The 12" tool bags are great for keeping my angle grinders and the accessories together.
    Joe

I had an air-powered grease gun that I couldn't get to pump any grease for the life of me. On the flip side, the Ball Joint Service Kit has been invaluable for replacing U-joints on my Jeep. The deep-well impact sockets I got there have many years on them and little signs of wear. There are both good and bad tools at HF. If you get a bad one, you can return it.

The main advantage to HF as I see it is the low cost of entry - if you need a tool for one or two projects, you don't really want to throw your money away on a rental and you don't need to invest in the best as long as it gets the job done, so any life left in the tool after the project is done is simply a bonus.
    ~Garth