Thread: Beadlock or Jessum dowel jig.

Beadlock or Jessum dowel jig.

I am making a computer table "L" shaped 54" X 54" and 20" wide. I was initially going to use plywood, however I want yo put a ogre edge and didn't think the paint would cover the plywood edge. I have 12" wide hard maple I can use for the top, so only on joint to get the 20" width. In the past I have just used biscuits to join the edges, however I am thinking maybe I should do a better joint. I don't build a lot of furniture. I still have the biscuit jointer, Rockler has the beadlock on sale, and then there is the Jessum dowel jig. So I a seeking advice on what would be a good way to join the top boards?
    Thanks
    Last edited by William C Rogers; 02-07-2016 at 6:24 PM.

No need for dowels or biscuits when edge joining solid lumber. Such things don't really add strength, just fix alignment. Often they do more harm than good holding the boards out of alignment rather than in. The key is making well fitting edge joints--no gaps between the boards. If not you will still see edge joints even with dowels or biscuits. But once you have good edges using cauls and plenty of clamps will give great joints as strong as the wood itself. One more thing. Use plenty of clamps and clamp them down firmly. It is absolutely wrong that you could squeeze out too much glue by over-clamping.

It is also absolutely wrong that you need to over clamp. What you need is even, moderate pressure throughout the joint with no gaps. So dont feel like you need to put the joint under a death grip.

Blog Entries
    Since you said your table is to be L shaped, I would join the two pieces of the "L" with either a spline or with counter top miter bolts. The spline will give added strength to the joint and insure alignment. The counter top miter bolts will join the two pieces as well as they do your kitchen counter tops.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

A headlock would probably hold really well, but I'm not sure what would happen once you let go.