Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amazing what can hide...

Amazing what can hide...

Down in a Tool Well on a bench...
    IMAG0054.jpg
    Besides a few pounds of sawdust and shavings. Framing square has been laying there awhile, keeps small stuff from bouncing off onto the floor. Rest of the squares.....tend to hide whenever I need them
    IMAG0055.jpg
    Yep, these were hiding down there as well. Near the end with a vise on it..
    IMAG0057.jpg
    Just the tape measure, and the mallet. Kind of hard for them to hide. They seem to be asking the planes there to cover them up
    Had to sharpen one up, then maybe a few MORE shavings
    IMAG0056.jpg
    Maybe it will do a bit better work..
    IMAG0059.jpg
    Now, I had better find a new home for all of this stuff. Projects are done for awhile....not sure when they will start back up, either.

Hi Steven,

I am pretty amazed how much stuff can go in a tool well. I appreciate the warning!

Since I have brought disorganization to a very high level, if/when I build a bench it won't have a tool well. I can loose stuff too easily without a tool well, so if I had one it would be frightening to think what I might loose in it.

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 02-07-2016 at 10:42 PM.

I am seriously thinking about removing the tool well on my bench. I would like to hear from anyone who has done this. Not only would it encourage me to put tools where they belong, but I would gain some much needed space in my small shop. Good idea or not?

I might just keep mine, but, I'll will add a tool holder on the outside edge. maybe to store all them chisels? Trying to work out a way to keep things from rolling off the bench's top, concrete floors tend to be a bit rough on tools that fall down there...

I also use clamps across the bench, to help hold things I am working on. There is still more to clean out, too. Might as well do it, since there isn't any more projects on the schedule right now...

Blog Entries
    My plan has been to include a tool well whenever I get around to building a bench. Part of what I think will make it work for me is my propensity to put tools away. Some times an accumulation of tools will build up on the bench. Then a decision is made to which stay and which go back to their assigned resting place.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    My plan has been to include a tool well whenever I get around to building a bench. Part of what I think will make it work for me is my propensity to put tools away. Some times an accumulation of tools will build up on the bench. Then a decision is made to which stay and which go back to their assigned resting place.

jtk
    Building a bench right now without a tool well, if I ever build another one I think I will include a tool well.

I have a LN dowel plate. I put it in a better safe place the last time I used it. It's still there and very safe as I can't find it.
    I've tried 3 ~ 4 times to find it. Looked in every drawer etc.

I've still got it safe.... ;-)

So I made another one out of soft steel and it works. Not nearly as well but will do.

Bummer ! Loosing a LN anything is grounds for a strong silent groan dont-u-think?

Hoot!

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Beadle View Post
    I have a LN dowel plate. I put it in a better safe place the last time I used it. It's still there and very safe as I can't find it.
    I've tried 3 ~ 4 times to find it. Looked in every drawer etc.

I've still got it safe.... ;-)

So I made another one out of soft steel and it works. Not nearly as well but will do.

Bummer ! Loosing a LN anything is grounds for a strong silent groan dont-u-think?

Hoot!
    I am missing a woodworking book I need....

Chris, me too, but it wasn't in the tool well.

Blog Entries
    I put it in a better safe place the last time I used it.
    I am very careful about where I put things. I am even more careful about moving something from one place where it has been stored to another "better place". It seems every time something is moved to a "better place" that is the last time I see it.

My only exception is if I can't find something in the first place I look on repeated occasions, it might get moved to that first place I looked for it.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    I am very careful about where I put things. I am even more careful about moving something from one place where it has been stored to another "better place". It seems every time something is moved to a "better place" that is the last time I see it.

My only exception is if I can't find something in the first place I look on repeated occasions, it might get moved to that first place I looked for it.

jtk
    For the really small/bizarre/rarely needed items I scribble a note on painter tape to stick to the box/drawer I put it in. Hinges and things like expansion bits and reamers etc....
    “Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”
    ― Henry Ford

All cleared off, not sure IF I will use it for awhile..
    IMAG0056.jpg
    rather a bit sad to see..
    IMAG0057.jpg
    Just an empty bench....

Decided to add some stowage, just to keep things OUT of the tool well ( hand planes can hide in there, now)
    IMAG0055.jpg
    Mainly for the chisels and squares I would use all the time, nothing real fancy
    IMAG0054.jpg
    Just scrap wood. Old tray. glued and screwed to the outside of the tool well.
    IMAG0056.jpg
    Slots for the squares was just some narrow blocks, nailed and glued to a scrap 1x6. I think there is even a place to stash a pencil
    IMAG0058.jpg
    Might come back later with a small gouge, and plow a pencil groove?
    Added a "rest" to sit boards on, while they are clamped into the leg vise.
    IMAG0057.jpg
    No more clamp marks. I also have an old railroad spike that I can use. Put it in there, with the "lip" sticking up?

Blog Entries
    It looks good. I am always worried that I will be whacking my tools while swinging a board around.

jtk

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    All cleared off, not sure IF I will use it for awhile..
    IMAG0056.jpg
    rather a bit sad to see..
    IMAG0057.jpg
    Just an empty bench....
    Silly question: why the lip along the side of the tray?