Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amazing what can hide...

Just the way the tray was built. That is both a "cleat" to attach the tray's bottom, and a filler to close that side of the tray. At the time this bench was built, I didn't have anything wider to use, that was that thin. Top is just 1-1/2" thick, after all.

Empty bench looks lonely....

I think the convenience of the tools on the back of the bench in easy reach is a plus but the downside is that you lose a lot of usable bench space. Maybe if all you do is small projects they will fit on the bench top but it always seems I have stuff overhanging the front and back. It might be nice if you could lift off the entire tool rack and hang it on a wall if need be. Some sort of french cleat maybe??

I hate benches with that infernal tool tray built in. So did the furniture conservators. They would make nice plywood inserts with legs to sit in the bottom of the tray, to fill up the tool tray,and leave the bench top flat all over.

No wall access down there. The way I've been working on projects lately most of those tools would wind up down in the tray.

I actually use the tray a lot. I will also have one end of a clamp IN the tray, to clamp a part to the bench. Like when they are too short to reach from the leg vise to the Crochet, AND have a curve to them.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I hate benches with that infernal tool tray built in. So did the furniture conservators. They would make nice plywood inserts with legs to sit in the bottom of the tray, to fill up the tool tray,and leave the bench top flat all over.

I think I like the idea of building a bench with one just because every bench back in the 80's when i first started woodworking seemed to have one. The real value in them seems to be in the reduction of Hardwood needed for commercial bench makers to make benches. Sjobergs ahs savced themselves a good sized forest of tress....

A little history on this bench...
    It was built one sunny, Sunday afternoon. The vises and Crochet came later, but the "main" parts came from a dumpster dive. I found parts from an old waterbed frame. 2x10s. One became the top, other parts became legs. I found some other useable parts for the tool well, and the feet. I needed a "bench" to build the bench with. The saw bench I did have, was a bit too small for this work, other than ripping things down to size for the legs. I used a plank clamped to a stepladder as a workbench for the build. a Patio Table held the tools until I needed them.
    SDC15843.jpgSDC15844.jpg
    Cost? 6 hours of a sunny afternoon on the back patio, and $7 for a box of screws.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Steve, I once read that "there is no such thing as a clean, flat surface in a shop". Looks like you have proved that to be wrong.

I know that in my shop these are really hard to find. It seems like every time I am on the brink of having some down time to focus on shop cleaning/organization something compels me to start up another project, and before I know it, lumber is piled here, clamps are scattered there, parts and pieces start to take over, and I've never met a scrap that I didn't like so these wind up being all over the place. Congrat's on having a clean bench!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe A Faulkner View Post
    Steve, I once read that "there is no such thing as a clean, flat surface in a shop". Looks like you have proved that to be wrong.

I know that in my shop these are really hard to find. It seems like every time I am on the brink of having some down time to focus on shop cleaning/organization something compels me to start up another project, and before I know it, lumber is piled here, clamps are scattered there, parts and pieces start to take over, and I've never met a scrap that I didn't like so these wind up being all over the place. Congrat's on having a clean bench!
    I love pics of workshops where a lot is going on...would probably feel right at home in your shop, Joe!