Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I Made A thing!!

Talking I Made A thing!!

This is the very first thing Ive ever turned on my very first lathe! I know it is total crap compared to the Artwork you all do on here but I could not have done this baby step without all your help and advice ! thank you all so very muchIMG_20160207_162717142.jpgIMG_20160207_162702113.jpg

2. Congrats on your first "thing!"
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Clearly, that is not a "thing."

It is a finely crafted, supremely precious, gate-key to an entirely new slippery slope!

Best of luck to yoooooooooo...........

Sign it, Date it so every now and then you can take a moment to remember your first .... well done!

Congrats! Your thing is a nice looking first "thing"! My first "thing" was an Idaho fish bonker. I still have photos of it.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Excellent fist "thing"

And nothing is crap... even the worst results are successes when you learn something from them... and everyone starts somewhere (we also all make plenty of firewood).

Here's one of my first (though not my very first which I don't have a picture of... it was a "mushroom" that ended up looking like... well, something very different than a mushroom. We'll leave it at that...)

#004 002.jpg

Thank you all so much !!!! I would love to stay and chat more but ...I have to look at my stuff to buy for my new hobby ... and watch more you tube videos about Wood lathe tools and sharpening and techniques and wood I really Love this thing I don't know why it took me this long to get one !, I did learn that I need a different gouge or tool to hollow out bowls ...I used a very old spindle gouge to do this "thing" and I'm certain there is a better way now to convince the Boss ... thank you all so much!
    S.

I like it. Looks like you got a lot of practice making it.

One more falls into the vortex..........ain't it great! Nice first Steve

Steve the first is the best (at first). Keep doing the best you can do and remember to have fun learning. Looking forward to seeing more.

Nice "thing." It looks like you're well on your way.

These were the first "things" I ever did involving the lathe.

The first one is a table-top piece that I constructed out of foam insulation and turned, the sliced and diced, reassembled and then cast in aluminum.

For the other two pieces, the smoother metal parts are just steel tubing, but the rougher metal parts were constructed from that white-bead type foam insulation sheets and turned on the lathe to round them out. I had to invent a system for chucking hollow foam forms so they could be turned into cylinders. I made a few modifications after the turning to add interest, then cast them in aluminum. The one wooden cylinder is hollow and made out of birch.

That was in grad schools, about 24 years ago. I had a lot of fun, but never really got into turning. I don't even own a lathe.

leda.jpg caryatid1.jpg caryatid2.jpg
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

One down, thousands to go! Happiness abounds, Steve!

Just imagine what you will make when you have the right tools.

"Sir"

My first thing gets used at least twice a day, take my keys out and put them back when I return.

You need to give the size, material, and finish. It looks like you had fun and the beads look good. Congratulations and Welcome.

Thank you very much Sir I am officially way too deep in the Vortex now ! its made from scrap maple i glued together about 4 1/4" x2 1/2 and the finish was some cutting board conditioner i had near me when i took it off the lathe thank you thank you all