Thread: Last one for the day ...I think

Lightbulb Last one for the day ...I think

Hello again < I apologize for flooding this forum with questions but I really don't know anything about lathes at all and this place is the best place for info Thank you all btw... anyway Since I don't own a bowl gouge of any kind and (as previously mentioned) I am a poor wood worker what are the down sides to taking a piece of steel and attaching one of those little carbide cutter wheels to the end of it ? will that work the same ? or am I way off base with that idea I have the steel laying around and it seem that I can get one of those little wheels for 10-15$ I don't want to keep it forever maybe just until I make the coolest bowl ever and sell it for hundreds of dollars and buy a cooler better bowl gouge .anyway thank you all for the advice and info It really has been a pleasure learning from everyone of you
    Thanks again
    S.

Search the 'net for something like "homade carbide lathe tool" and you will find many examples of carbide lathe tools that you can easily make. You can do a lot with these tools and get a fairly clean cut although not as good as with a decent gouge.
    David DeCristoforo

Outstanding Sir ! thank you I will do that right now and thanks again!

Your idea is probably the easiest tool to make. Good choice.

Wonderful news Mr. Baccus thank you very much I wasn't sure if it would work I thought it was a "too good to be true" type of thing Thank you very much for the vote of confidence Sir.

Steve. A simple solution is to make an"Oland tool". All you need is a piece of 5/8"x 12" keysteel & a 1/4" x 4" square HSS that are readily available. Make yourself a handle and you are in business. Very versatile tool. Lots of info on the net.

Thank you very much Sir I had to look up what exactly an"Oland tool" was but That does seem pretty easy now that i know thank you again and have a great night Sir.!