Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Building dream shop, need clever ideas

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Rick, my one concern with the vinyl product is the potential for slipperiness when there's any kind of dust about. Be sure that the surface design you select accounts for that important safety factor. Regardless of the ultimate flooring choice, you may still want to put anti-fatigue matts down...that's made a world of difference in my shop.
    I hadn't thought of it with dust. I should do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    I hadn't thought of it with dust. I should do that.
    Yes, this can be a significant issue in a woodworking shop that needs to be accounted for. Even wood floors shouldn't be made "slick" with a finish for the same reason.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

This is the flooring ..

There are a few brands and a few colors.. I need to check it for slip, but wanted to post anyway..

Its a flexible vinyl product which simply sits beside its neighbor ..

In this shop, I can drill a hole in it for dust and wire, or air.. and then if I move the machine, I can simply pull up the damaged piece and replace it without any fuss. Other than slipping, I think its a great idea.

Above is one of my choices, sitting on the 1-1/8" OSB floor. I expect that putting 1/2 ton and 1 ton machines on this product is probably going to void the warranty, but I want to try it .. Water won't harm it.

On the slippery part, its not a slick floor, but I need to figure that out.. I wanted something I could sweep easily.. without of course being dangerous. I also want it to reflect light, and not cause looking for things I dropped to be hard to find.

Spent tonight nailing up 1/2" Standard sheathing before we drywall .. The main wall will be 1/2 plywood under drywall. This will make clamp racks and shelves easy .. cabinets.. etc.. not needed but I wanted to try it .. I also ran 1/2" copper up the wall behind the plywood and into the ceiling for drop down compressed air over the benches ..
    Last edited by Rick Fisher; 05-26-2016 at 3:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    .. The main wall will be 1/2 plywood under drywall. This will make clamp racks and shelves easy .. cabinets.. etc.. not needed but I wanted to try it .. I also ran 1/2" copper up the wall behind the plywood and into the ceiling for drop down compressed air over the benches ..
    The ply/sheathing will add a bit of sound and temperature insulation. and add strength and rigidity to the building.

I ran compressed air all through my shop and to the outside and it has been SO useful. I put in three separate lines on valves in case I needed to isolate one leg for some reason.

JKJ

Great advice on the valves .. I am using 3/4" Copper off the compressor .. The overhead line is just for benches so it drops down to 1/2".. It will run Sanders and staplers.
    I have a Kreg Pneumatic Machine that hogs air. I plan to run a 3/4" Line direct to that machine.. I have a 4 gallon tank near it as well. I really should map it out and separate it with valves.

I just started installing pneumatic lines and most are in the floor, so I will ensure they are distinct enough to be separate .

Thanks

This is a long thread so I apologize if this has been mentioned before: I learned two things about air when researching.

One, put the dryers/water separators far enough away from the compressor so the moisture can condense as the hot air cools, otherwise it will just pass through the separator. Some sources recommend at least 20' of pipe, sloped downward if possible, with a gravity trap with a drain valve. I made the traps with a vertical length of tubing.

The second advice I read too late for me to use: instead of running a dead-end line install the air line in a loop around the shop. This will allow a tool that really sucks to pull air from two directions.

JKJ

That 2 direction idea is gold ..

Installing drop in place rubberish flooring ..

This is good stuff .. not as slippery as concrete, but will be easy to sweep

Lighting went in a few days ago . Really effective .. the 2 tube fixtures on the right are where the future bench will be

200 amp panel running 100 amps to PP-20 .. to 100 amp PH-3 panel .. which will have 55 amps of 230V PH-3 ..

There will be 5 machines running off the 3 phase panel. All the wiring is under the floor for those machine.

I once had a dream shop but lost it in a divorce. Thing I miss most was this overhead I beam . I could back my truck in under it and use a chain hoist to pick anything up I want. I could unload a 16 inch joiner by myself. And then I had a pallet jack to move everything around. I had no mobile basis. I just use the pallet jack. But I had a lot of space, 2200 ft.

So I had no shop for 5 1/2 yrs. and now I have a 480 sq ft two bay garage. So a big challenge working in such a small space but I'm grateful to have a shop again. There is a spare bedroom behind one of my shop walls. My plan is to knock out that wall and steal that bedroom for additional space. Though it's going to take some convincing to my second wife.

Gantry crane is on my list too. I want freestanding one though. I do the pallet jack now as well. I love custom size bases.

Elec looks sweet Rick!
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Looks awesome, Rick! Congrats! You're getting awfully close!!

I should have shown you the Liftmaster 8500 jackshaft garage door openers. Soo much cleaner install.
    Last edited by Mike Heidrick; 07-06-2016 at 7:35 AM.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.