Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making a die to stamp leather

1. Making a die to stamp leather

I wanted to experiment this week to see if I could make a die to stamp leather patches. Are there material suggestions you folks might recommend? Thought I might try 1/2" cast acrylic. I've heard of Corian but never tried it, I don't see it listed in my sign supplier catalog. If I could make dies in house it would open up a lot of possibilities to me.

Thanks,

Bob
    Trotec Speedy 400 100w w/ Rotary attachment
    .................................................. .......................
    For custom framing: Pistorius double miter saw, Bienfang 4468, Inmes IM-5P underpinner, etc.
    For fun: Miller mig welder, Lincoln tig welder, Hypertherm plasma cutter.
    For photography: Phase 1 P65+, Epson 9800, Epson 7900, 3 Shinko dye subs

Blog Entries
    Corian works well. Also consider HDPE.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Actually 1/4" acrylic works very well. I've made several dies for a couple of customers. Put another 1/4" piece behind it for support in the press.

Go to your local kitchen remodeler and ask if he has some scrap Corian or similar--he will. (sink cut outs are usually scrap) I would use acrylic as Corian engraves very slowly and cutting is very difficult.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mike Null; 02-08-2016 at 8:47 AM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I've seen Corian/Delrin/POM used in these kind of leatherstamps.
    Henri Sallinen
    Cardboard designer with a Epilog Helix 24 60w + Gunnar Matboard Cutter + Heidelberg Windmill letterpress

I've even made a few from plywood...
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

This is an awesome idea. What kind of a press do you need to achieve a permanent design?
    Epilog Helix 60 watt, Epilog 36EXT 75 watt, 2 Rotary Attachments, 3 Jaw Chuck Rotary Attachment, Kern 52x100 400 watt putting out 580 watts, Photobrasive Laser Mask, Rayzist 1924 Blast Cabinet, ikonics blast cabinet, SR3000 Resist, Epson 1400 Printer, 1 Paragon Glass Kiln, Covington Wet Belt Sander/Polisher, 2 JDS Air Filtration Units, 14" Stone Saw, and A Few Other Things I Forgot About!

Bob,

If you search our archives you will find one of our Members who has considerable expertise laser engraving leather stamps. He has provided lots of pictures of his work and they are impressive.

If you can't find any Corian scraps contact me, I may be able to help.

8. OK, thanks for all the good suggestions. Should give me plenty to play with this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Braden Todd View Post
    This is an awesome idea. What kind of a press do you need to achieve a permanent design?
    Braden, you can scratch wet leather with your fingernail, so with that in mind, I'm waiting on a call back for a 100 ton electro hydraulic shop press. I'm not kidding, I've always been that way, lol. I will be able to mint my own coins.

Bob
    For custom framing: Pistorius double miter saw, Bienfang 4468, Inmes IM-5P underpinner, etc.

Just be aware, some tanning methods allow for the stamps to work awesome, some methods won't hold the stamp. I think Veg tanned will hold the stamp and the "chromate" or whatever it's called type won't. They will stamp great and look great and over time, they will revert back to being flat, or less embossed at least, where the veg tan will stay the same over time.

Just a general note. The leathers that look awesome and you'd love to use, will be the wrong type
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Bob is correct about wetting the leather. Vegetable tanned cowhide works very well. My two customers both use presses they bought at Harbor Freight. http://www.harborfreight.com/20-ton-...ess-32879.html

There was one design that I vector cut from 1/16" acrylic then cemented it to the 1/4" backer--much faster than engraving.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 02-08-2016 at 12:00 PM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I stamp Veg Tan leather all the time as well as engrave it. Dampen the leather slightly before pressing the stamp in it. After its completely dry you can dye it what ever color you want it. Then use leather sheen to give it a nice polished look. You can also dye the leather first but I think it works better to stamp then dye.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

12. Thanks for all the good responses. I made a decent looking die from 1/4 acrylic. I guess I don't have enough "press power" to get it to work very good. That will change later this week when my new hydraulic press arrives. In the mean time, I'll round up some Corian, HDPE, Delrin, POM, etc.

Bob

13. To further this discussion for future reference I have discovered an interesting product called Tough-Cast 65D. It seems that many leather embossing die makers use this product or something similar. It would involve some extra steps, making a silicone mold of your master, then using the two part resin to make the die. I've read where using this stuff for leather results in a die that's even superior to a metal die. Might be fun to play with.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Davis - Sturgis SD View Post
    Thanks for all the good responses. I made a decent looking die from 1/4 acrylic. I guess I don't have enough "press power" to get it to work very good. That will change later this week when my new hydraulic press arrives. In the mean time, I'll round up some Corian, HDPE, Delrin, POM, etc.

Bob
    What are you using for a press right now? I was thinking of getting a 20 ton air hydraulic bottle jack for doing stamping and such.
    I was looking at Home Depot for them and they are not that expensive, only 35 dollars for the manual jack and 91 dollars for the air jack.

Harbor Freight 1 ton arbor press works find for smaller stamp up to about 3 inch's in Dia.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander