Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bandsaw - 14 or 17 inch?

Bandsaw - 14 or 17 inch?

I will be getting a band saw, but generally need only a 14". One job I will need 12" resaw for a bunch of redwood boards. Question to anybody that has a 14" with the riser block - Would you use a riser again or would you purchase the 17" saw?

The 17" saw.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Agree with Erik. I started with a 14" saw but have a 17" saw now. Get the 17". The extra capacity and power are worth it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Randy, I have a 12" Delta with riser and did a lot of resawing and conversion of green wood into turning blanks and it worked well. Then I got an 18" Rikon with a far more powerful motor and it works much better. It has the same 12" height without a riser.

I'd get the largest saw I could, up to a point. (I used a HUGE bandsaw in the '60s, maybe 24" or larger? That is too much saw for me!)

JKJ

Bigger is better in this case, I'd recommend the 17".

I have a 14" Delta with riser block and regularly resaw stock 10" thick and cut shop sawn veneer with it. It was useless for those tasks until I put a 1.5 HP motor on it. So now it works OK, but I have my eyes open for a used MM16, too.

John

I sold my Delta 14" with a riser and bought a G0513X2 17".

Thanks a bunch guys, this looks like a no brainer, but thought I would check anyway. Having fun trying to get one shipped out here without trading in the house.

Blog Entries
    A smaller saw is nice to have IF you already have a larger one. JMHO and I practice what I . . . er . . . opine(?).
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Yep, bigger is definitely better with this one!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Coming in at your question from the other side, I have been thinking of upgrading my old Grizzly 18 inch bandsaw. I forget the number and it is not identified by number on the saw(not the greated saw, G1021 seems to ring a bell) , but after thinking about it, I decided that when I replace it I will replace it with a 17" heavy duty Grizzly saw.

Edit: I was considering a larger say, say 19" or more, but thinking about it for my needs the necessity for a greater throat depth or higher resaw height was not there.

So I say go for the 17" as well. Unless you need a greater throat depth for some reason, it will probably be more than satisfactory...

Bill
    Last edited by Bill Space; 02-08-2016 at 5:11 PM.
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

If you have the space, budget and 220v, get the 17" saw. That being said, I've resawed 12" wide boards quite successfully on my 14" grizzly with a riser block.

If you have the shop space and the funds, a 14" for general bandsawing and a 17" or bigger for re-sawing would be ideal. If you can only have one, get the 17". I have the 17" Grizzly but often wish I had room for a 14" saw, too.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

There are 14 inch saws that will do a good job of resawing even 12 inch hickory if you are a little patient. I have a Laguna 14/12 that I chose over the 17 inch Grizzly because I like the design, fit and finish, and the saw guides better. I would not buy an old cast iron band saw specifically for that purpose.

I've got the G0513X2. It is the only bandsaw I've ever used and I'll never have anything smaller. It resaws beautifully with a 3/4" Timberwolf 3tpi blade. However, now that I have one and see what all I can use it for I kinda wish I had another smaller saw for scroll work. Changing the blade is a pain, but I'm sure no less a pain than with other saws.