Thread: Hornbeam

Hornbeam

I have found a pile of hornbeam 2x4 at a reasonable price. I was thinking of it as a tabletop for a workbench. But Im unsure if it might be to hard and difficult to plane dead flat ? and chop the mortises for the square bench dogs.

Does anybody has experience with working with hornbeam ?
    Best regards

Lasse Hilbrandt

Blog Entries
    No experience to wit.

Maybe take a plane with you and find out before purchase if possible.

The square bench dog holes will be easy if you cut them in to a piece of the lamination before gluing it together.

Round dog holes are even easier.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    No experience to wit.

Maybe take a plane with you and find out before purchase if possible.

The square bench dog holes will be easy if you cut them in to a piece of the lamination before gluing it together.

Round dog holes are even easier.

jtk
    Very good idea about the dog holes, thanks
    Best regards

Lasse Hilbrandt

Hornbeam grows around here (Va. ) ,but I've never seen any big enough to yield 2x4. It's hard ,good for chisel handles and such. Need to look at the botanical names,what you have there might be entirely different.

Yes I think the species are different here in northern europe. Seller says its really hard. I will bring my plane and see how it goes
    Best regards

Lasse Hilbrandt

I have seen some furniture made from hornbeam in Germany. Do a search for 'Möbel aus Hainbuche' on the web and you'll picture of mainly tables. Even for that use it is not a common material. One has to be very careful about laminating even dry hornbeam. It tends to twist and warp, and because it is so dense Im sure it doesn't dry fast to begin with. The tables on the web made of hornbeam were most likely shaped, surfaced etc with good, sharp machinery.
    Planing even a small piece of hornbeam gives you a good workout. Weaving shuttles and some piano parts have traditionally been made of hornbeam according to the forestry pages of Göttingen University.

Alfred

I went to look at the hornbeam yesterday and most of it was twisted and full of knots. I enden up with just buying a couple of 2x4 in 3 meters lenght. They were quater sawn and fairly straight. I plan to use it for plane making and tool handles.

You could make a few really nice planes with that wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Speers View Post
    You could make a few really nice planes with that wood.
    You could too, if you would answer your PM´s
    Best regards

Lasse Hilbrandt

Quote Originally Posted by Lasse Hilbrandt View Post
    You could too, if you would answer your PM´s

I've been away for a few days. (too much work!)

Will def respond tonight, Lasse. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Hornbeam grows around here (Va. ) ,but I've never seen any big enough to yield 2x4. It's hard ,good for chisel handles and such. Need to look at the botanical names,what you have there might be entirely different.
    I'm also in Virginia - and have harvested and used some of our local Hornbeam. These trees, which are rather small and not commercially viable for lumber, are typically of the "American Hop Hornbeam" species. And boy are they HARD! Very difficult to work with hand tools and they dull blades very quickly. I've successfully used young saplings for walking staffs where the hardness and toughness are a benefit.

TedP

Just did a litle research on the differense between european and american hornbeam. The american type is a fraction harder on the janka scala but only grow to half the size of the european variant.