Thread: Voltage inverters

Voltage inverters

Do any of you Wizards of Wattage have any real world experience with voltage inverters? I am considering installing installing on in the boat to run a small fridge that,according to the label plate draws 1.1 amps @ 115 vac. No reference to what the start-up surge is. As 115 v will be available I will no doubt take advantage of it and may want to run something else like a small fan or something. The more I read on line the more uncertain I am about necessary size and manufacturer. Naturally everyone claims theirs is the best and reviews are mixed.
    As always,any advice, recommendations is appreciated!

PS: 12v dc to 115 vac.

Blog Entries
    I expect 5x surge currents for any steady-state current given...
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I know little, however, depending on the load that you will be running, you may need clean power (sine wave). A typical, low cost inverter is not sine wave output. They are noisy (electrically) and can cause issues with motors and certain other devices. Noise can extend into things like static heard on an AM radio for instance.

All of the cheap ones have really bad efficiency. Look for a true sine wave unit with good efficiency, and that will server best. If you can squeeze a solar panel or windmill on there to help recharge that will extend the battery life too.

5. I have a small chest freezer in our rv that draws a little over 1 amp and a 300 watt PSW inverter will not start it up, blows the input fuse. So I use my 1,000 PSW inverter and it works beautifully.

Robert is right on the size to use....
    Problem you may think about... It will draw about 10amps when refrigerator is running...
    Use a separate battery for it that you can charge off the alternator when engine is
    running and the original battery is reserved for starting / running the engine...
    Otherwise very easy to drain main battery and you will not be able to start engine..
    ... it is hard to get a jump start if not at a dock..

Thank's guy's. I was thinking somewhere in the 1000-1200 watt range would be more than enough for my perceived needs. Both batteries gave out early this winter. I replaced the starting battery already so now I need to find a good deep cycle battery.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Aumiller View Post
    Robert is right on the size to use....
    Problem you may think about... It will draw about 10amps when refrigerator is running...
    Use a separate battery for it that you can charge off the alternator when engine is
    running and the original battery is reserved for starting / running the engine...
    Otherwise very easy to drain main battery and you will not be able to start engine..
    ... it is hard to get a jump start if not at a dock..
    Good advice here--what you want to install is called an "isolator". This will let you run down the battery that powers the inverter without leaving you dead in the water without a battery for starting the engine.

A little Google searching will get you on the path to a good configuration.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Blog Entries
    On ocean going boats, there are often two banks of batteries. I set up one bank as a start bank (single high crank battery). The other was set up for bait tank and other appliances (pair of deep cycle batteries wired in parallel). Certain functions were set up to run off either or were outside the bank switch (bilge, marine radio, GPS, and lights). There was no power generator on my boat.

It might be simpler to look for a 12 volt refrigerator depending upon how you charge the boat at dock.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"