Thread: Is this used bandsaw worth the price ?

Is this used bandsaw worth the price ?

I have a chance to buy a very slightly used Rikon 10-325 14" bandsaw with mobile base, Carter fence and 2 extra blades. Asking price is $725. The saw alone is currently on sale at Woodcraft for $764.99, 15% off the regular price of $899. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Does not sound like much of a deal to me.

If it were from a friend who needed money, and who I wanted to help out maybe; otherwise, I would wait it out and buy it later at a more reasonable price when the seller finds out he is asking too much...

Bill
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

First of all, Highland is $699. Don't know how freight and tax will affect your price.

Fair price for used equipment is 50%; so maybe $500. But if you want it now and can't wait for a better price, than I guess it is worth the price.

The fence, base and blades may be worth 200 and with no tax the savings increases. Total difference is probably over 300 dollars.b That will get you a project worth of some really nice wood. The big factor is your definition of very slightly used. If you mean it could pass for a demo model, take it. For reference I was in Rocker recently and a man bought a floor model planer for ten percent off. They didn't know if it had been used in a demo or not.

Better off buying new. Especially on sale. I don't see the point if the carter fence. I think the stock fence is pretty good. I bought mine in a great sale at woodcraft last fall.

Mobile base nice if you need it but no huge value. Are the blades dull $15 blades or new and nicer? Even if so, the money's just not there for me.

I'm not a big fan of 14" bandsaws. Though I love my 1950s Delta. And this one doesn't sound like a gloat.

I think I would buy a new Grizzly. I've had mine for about 12 yrs. and it works just fine. Not sure what they sell for now, but I'm sure you could save some $. I have a mini lathe and 2 HP dust collector from Harbor Freight which are good. You might check their bandsaws and do some research as to how they rate. The lathe is the same one as sold by Rockler and the dust collector gets high reviews by everything I've read, so there are a few good things there; a lot of not so good too.

I'd want much more of a discount on a used saw. Even if it looks in good shop and brand new you don't know if the guy dropped it when he was moving it in or something. Not worth the risk to save only a couple of bucks. Get a new one if you were set on that model or keep looking for a better deal for a used one.

Blog Entries
    Sounds like someone changed their mind and is trying to recover there money. there's nothing wrong with that. There are average and poor mobile bases so that wouldn't sway me. Although I like a lot of Cartr Products stuff their foray into bandsaw fences has never thrilled my. Sum it up to say that I would pass but, you may feel differently. In the overall investment into a bandsaw and its use, the $300 is not a big deal . . . $300 is a chunk of change but, over the life of a saw it is pennies.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Agree with the above posts. I know nothing of the Carter fence, but the stock fence works great. Once the saw is all dialed in and trued and tuned it runs great. To me a couple used blades is only worth about $25 on top of the price for a used saw. Personally at that price I'd buy new and get the warranty, especially if I could get it from Highland for $699. Rikon tools go on this same sale a couple times a year, if he paid more for it, that's not your fault

I'd offer him $500 for the used one.

I just purchased a used bandsaw for just under half of new which is good because there were parts missing and things that cost you money that you never see when looking at it. For example even though we took the table off and ran the saw and cut with the saw the bottom thrust bearing needs to be replaced. It still works but the cover has come off and the guts of the bearing are exposed. I planned on saving for a carter kit so it's not the end of the world but the point is that there's always stuff you don't see. As such you need enough of a buffer that the sale is a good price even after you finish getting the saw up to spec. If it was new you just return the parts but you can't do that on a used CL purchase. Just my thoughts if you really like the saw go for it.

Just for reference, I paid $550 for my 10-325, with several blades included (4 or 5 brand new), a mobile base, extra table insert plates, and a few other extras. I don't think I got the BEST deal in the world, but I have been happy with it.

I don't know much about the Rikon saws, but the Carter fence doesn't do anything for me. I got one with my used 17" Grizzly and ended up putting the stock fence back on. I gave the Carter to my FIL to use on one of his saws in place of the 2x4 and c-clamps