Thread: Which Diamond Hone for Forstners

Which Diamond Hone for Forstners

I learned how to sharpen my forstners using a Rockler EZE-lap kit. Never fully satisfying and the honing paddle is worn through.

Any recommendations on a longer lasting flat diamond hone?

I can hardly wait until the HSS bit needs sharpening. NOT with the Rockler set!
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I use the E-Z laps too. I have a set and work through the grits, so no one grit gets worn out too soon. They say that diamond hones need to be cleaned occasionally with soap and water cause they load up, cleaning yours (if you haven't already) might give it some more life.....

Try one of the small diamond discs sold at HF. They fit a dremmel ect. and do it fast.

I had a friend tell me he takes his to a saw shop, which is the same place I take my bandsaw blades. They do an excellent job. I never could get an edge as good as from the factory. All saw shops are not equal. I take my 2 5/8 bits in about 2 or 3 at a time. These are the ones I use to drill a recess for expanding a chuck into instead of using a face plate.

robo hippy

Actually, Reed, those are the ones that wear quickly. I have a smaller chuck so the 2-1/8 drills all of the recesses for me.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Do a search for sharpening forstner bits with a Trend diamond hone.

Some things: I also use the EZE lap paddle hones for bits and gouges and other things. I've tried other brands and I like these the best by far. I do most of the work with the coarser hones then touch up with the finer. These things got to be so expensive and I use them so often I did this: I went directly to the manufacturer and found I could order them for a fraction of the retail cost. I bought a lifetime supply. I don't remember if I needed to buy a certain quantity to get that price but it might be worth a try. Or get some people together and make a group purchase.

Also, have you considered a carbide forstner bit for the size you use the most? Years ago I bought two sets of forstner bits - one steel and the other carbide. I use the carbide for everything with no hint yet of dulling.

I have never used a forstner bit to cut a chuck recess. I usually drill a hole and mount in a screw chuck, bring up the tail stock if needed, face off and cut the recess with a parting tool. The forstner bit might be quicker but this way is real quick too. Maybe it wouldn't work for big, irregular chunks of wood but I want a faceplate for those anyway.

JKJ

I used this one: http://www.woodcraft.com/product/852...ered-file.aspx

it has a flat on the bottom side.

John,
    With the forstner bit recess, the advantage is using the same chuck and jaws for the entire bowl, and not having to mount and remove the screw chuck. It is more stable to me, and if the surface of the blank is not dead flat, the bottom of the recess is. I do use the tailstock on any bowls over 10 to 12 inch diameter. Most of the time, the drilled recess will not work for a natural edge bowl.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Blasic View Post
    Do a search for sharpening forstner bits with a Trend diamond hone.
    Nice. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p7RlCLEQm0