Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane HTC125 Chuck

Interesting! Steve Fulgoni is an SMC member, so perhaps he'll weigh in on this thread.

John, on your G0766, do the set screws in your insert seat fully within the dedicated channel (between the spindle boss and spindle threads)?

I just remembered and pulled up this two-year-old review of the HTC125 on this forum, where the set screw issue was also discussed.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/archive/index.php/t-201757.html

It's the thread that first got me interested in the Hurricane chucks. I had forgotten that Steve Fulgoni posted there about the set screw issue. Back then, only the insert for 33 mm spindles came factory-drilled and tapped because of the variation in other spindle configurations. Sounds like he may have made some modifications for use on some other spindles as well, e.g., the G0766 and G0733, maybe more.

Hi Guys, and thanks to David for alerting me to this post.

Due to the many requests by users, I now offer grub screws on the M33 insert and the 1 1/4" x 8 insert. They just came in with the last production run. We are shipping them as the standard inserts now for those threads. I still have 1 1/4 x 8 inserts without threads if you want to drill for your lathe, but you would have to request it specifically.

If anyone has an insert without the grub screws, and would like one, ship it back to me and I will exchange it for no charge. I will cover return shipping costs too.

Please note that the 1" x 8 TPI inserts still do not have grub screw holes (2/12/2016) That is because many mini lathes have no flat spindle area at all. I guess I could have made the hole and included nylon set screws, but I haven't tested that to see how they would hold.

As you know also, my general suggestion is to never turn in reverse and if you want to sand in reverse, do so carefully. Sanding is much safer than turning in reverse because usually your piece is lighter in weight, balanced and not a rough cut or heavy piece of stock likely to spin off.

Oh, and I will update the website soon with the correct info

Thanks, as always, for your support.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Fulgoni View Post

Due to the many requests by users, I now offer grub screws on the M33 insert and the 1 1/4" x 8 insert. They just came in with the last production run. We are shipping them as the standard inserts now for those threads. I still have 1 1/4 x 8 inserts without threads if you want to drill for your lathe, but you would have to request it specifically.

If anyone has an insert without the grub screws, and would like one, ship it back to me and I will exchange it for no charge. I will cover return shipping costs too.

Please note that the 1" x 8 TPI inserts still do not have grub screw holes (2/12/2016) That is because many mini lathes have no flat spindle area at all. I guess I could have made the hole and included nylon set screws, but I haven't tested that to see how they would hold.

As you know also, my general suggestion is to never turn in reverse and if you want to sand in reverse, do so carefully. Sanding is much safer than turning in reverse because usually your piece is lighter in weight, balanced and not a rough cut or heavy piece of stock likely to spin off.

Steve

Thanks Steve that's great,
    I'll will be ordering mine from Amazon,
    Will it be shipped by you?
    I just want to be sure I get the chuck with the insert that has the grub screws.
    Thanks,
    Rick

"Brownsville", North Queensland, Australia.
    There is of course the obvious solution to this situation - don't turn or sand in reverse.

Lathes capable of both anti-clockwise (forward) and clockwise (reverse) rotation are a relatively new development. While customers demand such specification and lathe / chuck manufacturers continue to design & supply products which rely upon a threaded spindle and threaded chuck inserts the hazard of a chuck & blank coming off the lathe while turning in reverse will always be present. No matter what "grub screw" system is used to retain the insert / chuck it still relies upon operator diligence to actually work and to prevent damage to lathe spindles.

Yes, the hazard was always there with outboard turning & threaded insert chucks. Prior to the introduction of the scroll chuck, turners had LH & RH threaded insert face plates - that eliminated the hazard. So wood turners four jaw scroll chucks have been around about 30 years now and we still don't have a satisfactory solution for this hazard?

How often will turners be tempted to say "its only one short project I won't nip up the grub screw" then forget that they haven't done so and move onto another project etc? Or they will realize that the grub screw is causing damage and simply not use it but continue with their habit of sanding in reverse etc. Repairing lathe spindles is not cheap.

Vicmarc have gone one step past the grub screw in the threaded insert design with their collar design however it will only fit the newer model Vicmarc lathe & chucks - no retrofit options unless the lathe spindle is re-manufactured or replaced.

I think the real solution is a redesigned lathe spindle to chuck mount similar to some of the machinists CNC quick mount setups - but that introduces extra cost, complexity and more "non industry standard" incompatibility issues. Who will set the new industry standard?

The Stienert Maximo offer a "bayonet receiver" but off course it is still set up for anti-clock wise rotation. http://www.steinert.eu/maximo_en/max...abilitaet.html & http://www.steinert.eu/maximo_en/max...mensionen.html & http://www.steinert.eu/maximo_en/max...erangebot.html
    Last edited by Geoff Whaling; 02-12-2016 at 2:18 PM.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Steve Fulgoni View Post

Steve
    Thanks Steve......I don't think those of us who ordered before the improvement could ask for better customer service! I also have the Grizzly G0766, and have both the HTC100 and HTC 125......you will be hearing from me soon......thanks for stepping up!!!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Well, this thread has now inspired me to finally get around to drilling and tapping the 1-1/4" x 8 tpi inserts on my HTC125 and HTC100 chucks for set screws. I've never felt the need in 2-1/2 years of using them, but then I only sand lightly, not turn, in reverse. I just measured on my G0766 and G0733 spindles, and centering the set screws 7.5 mm back from the outboard edge of the insert should seat the screws dead center in the dedicated spindle channel. I'll probably use 6 mm x 1 set screws.

I'd take Steve up on his kind offer to do the drilling and tapping, but I don't want to be without the chucks even for a week!

8. Quote Originally Posted by David C. Roseman View Post
    Well, this thread has now inspired me to finally get around to drilling and tapping the 1-1/4" x 8 tpi inserts on my HTC125 and HTC100 chucks for set screws. I've never felt the need in 2-1/2 years of using them, but then I only sand lightly, not turn, in reverse. I just measured on my G0766 and G0733 spindles, and centering the set screws 7.5 mm back from the outboard edge of the insert should seat the screws dead center in the dedicated spindle channel. I'll probably use 6 mm x 1 set screws.

I'd take Steve up on his kind offer to do the drilling and tapping, but I don't want to be without the chucks even for a week!
    David, let us know if that measurement hits directly in the center between the boss and threads....if it does, I might try a similar fix. What drill bit do you use with a 6mm screw?
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 02-12-2016 at 7:08 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Wow, I have two of the bigger chucks, and don't know if I'll take Steve up on his offer. What I do know is that his response demonstrates incredibly good service. Kudoes to you Steve.
    No one has the right to demand aid, but everyone has a moral obligation to provide it-William Godwin

When I first engaged the grub screws with the G0766, they caught the tiniest portion of the last thread - I had just finished mill/filing the shoulder so that my oneway faceplates would seat (the HTC seats without that mod, by the way). So I took just a smidge more off the shoulder and now the grubs just clear the last thread...really, it hit such a small portion I don't think it would have mattered.

Steve,

That is an amazing service.

If I recall correctly, my recently purchased HTC125 has the grub screws, but my HTC100 does not. I might take you up on the insert swap.

-Jeramie

HTC 125 ordered,
    Can't wait.

I like the HTC 125 a lot but it's dangerous to the hands. The plastic/metallic coating on the exterior of the chuck flakes off leaving razor-sharp shards. One day I'll take the time to peel off the rest of the coating. Meanwhile I'll have to keep the band-aids handy.

Also watch the round knobs on the key handle. They're not tight from the factory. Easy to drop and lose one for good in a deep pile of shavings.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Pierce View Post
    I like the HTC 125 a lot but it's dangerous to the hands. The plastic/metallic coating on the exterior of the chuck flakes off leaving razor-sharp shards. One day I'll take the time to peel off the rest of the coating. Meanwhile I'll have to keep the band-aids handy.

Also watch the round knobs on the key handle. They're not tight from the factory. Easy to drop and lose one for good in a deep pile of shavings.

Wow!
    Ben I don't know, mine looks very well made.
    Maybe Steve will chime in?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Pierce View Post
    I like the HTC 125 a lot but it's dangerous to the hands. The plastic/metallic coating on the exterior of the chuck flakes off leaving razor-sharp shards. One day I'll take the time to peel off the rest of the coating. Meanwhile I'll have to keep the band-aids handy.Also watch the round knobs on the key handle. They're not tight from the factory. Easy to drop and lose one for good in a deep pile of shavings.
    I have 3 of them and none show any signs of deterioration. Agree with you about round knobs. I put a dab of CA glue and problem solved.