Thread: Mortise and marking gauges

Mortise and marking gauges

Here are 2 types of mortise gauges with different patent.

mk2.jpgmk1.jpg
    This one has the same concept like David Barons marking gauge. Simple and easy to make but usefull to. Walnut and oak.
    http://www.davidbarronfurniture.co.u...asp?pg=1&id=18

i108^cimgpsh_orig.JPGi109^cimgpsh_orig.JPGi110^cimgpsh_orig.JPGi112^cimgpsh_orig.JPGi111^cimgpsh_orig.JPG
    Also I came to an idea for this simple mortise patent. Needs just a little shaping. Cherry and oak.
    IMG_4696.jpg

Blog Entries
    Interesting and resourceful, when one lives in a place where second hand stores, antique stores, flea markets and yard sales are practically littered with old wood working tools one forgets in some parts of the world tools may not be as easy to find on a regular basis.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks Jim.
    Problem is there are also no second hand stores and flea markets for handtools. In last 2 or 3 years I never came across someone using handtools.
    There are a lot of carvers even in my town but thats diferent world.
    I found that the most important things that I need are good saws and sharpening stones. With blades you can make your own planes.

I'm curious. What did you use for pins? I've made a few gages over the years and good pins are the hardest part for me.

The last marking gauge that I made, I used a small drill bit. Most drill bits are high speed steel. I just ground a point on the shank of the bit and cut the fluted part off. I read of using a dry wall screw as they are sharp and hardened.
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Blog Entries
    DSC07740 (Medium) (2).JPG
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hulbert View Post
    I'm curious. What did you use for pins? I've made a few gages over the years and good pins are the hardest part for me.
    Drill bits, saber saw blades, even nails have worked for me. I agree good pins are difficult to find.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 02-09-2016 at 2:41 PM.

Blog Entries
    Yes, good pins are hard to find. That is why making them out of broken drill bits, nails or whatever convenient piece of metal may be laying around the shop is the easy way out.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

pn.jpg
    Here is what type of pins I am using, bought from a normal shop that sell this kind of stuff.
    Its not good guality, pretty fast I made double bevel with a file.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Almeidus View Post
    pn.jpg
    Here is what type of pins I am using, bought from a normal shop that sell this kind of stuff.
    Its not good guality, pretty fast I made double bevel with a file.

I've not seen that style of pin before. I can't quite tell from the picture what I'm looking at. Are they purpose made for such use or have you adapted them for your application?

Hi Bridger,
    Its not their purpose for that, I have no idea whats the purpose mean to be. Someone said it can be used so you can put a wire or something similar in the groove, for hanging pictures.
    I adapted them as pins, I didnt want to use standard nails for it, I wanted somehting wider and ticker.

Nice work Mark. I may make some like yours. Thank you for the good ideas!
    Fred