Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weike Laser Thoughts/Info Requested

Weike Laser Thoughts/Info Requested

I guess this is a bit of a follow up to an earlier thread I started regarding my dilemna between choosing a 12 year old Epilog and a new Weike laser. But in this one, I'm only looking for input from folks who have or have used G. Weike lasers.

I recognize the US Laser supporters out there will be itching to tell me how bad Chinese lasers are, and I get that. But I'm not looking for US vs Chinese debates on this one. What I'm looking for is purely feedback from people specifically related to Weike lasers.

I'm heading to the ARA show in Vegas on March 2nd and have reserved my decision on which laser to purchase until after I attend that show. Though, at this stage, I am strongly (90%) leaning towards a Weike. Weike won't be in Vegas though Senfeng and a couple of other Chinese laser companies will be. I also know Epilog, Trotec and Universal will be there too, so I should be able to get a good opportunity to see some different quality machines, ask questions, etc.

In the meantime, what I'm looking for specifically from you guys is input on the following, specifically relating to Weike (I will likely be purchasing the 6040N, 60W model):

1. If you have a Weike laser, when you received it, did you get everything as ordered? (ie. was anything missing or was there anything that was a different item to what you'd requested)
    2. If you have any means of comparing, how did the Weike machine compare to other Chinese machines? (quality, control, etc)
    3. Is the Weike control panel ok (relatively easy to use)?
    4. What software comes with and/or can you print directly from CorelDraw or, conversely, is it easy to simply import and Illustrator *.ai file into their software and print that way?
    5. I will be ordering the Honeycomb tray, air assist, 5000W chiller, red point, autofocus and a spare laser tube. Is there anything else I should be adding?
    6. Anything you can add re the quality and speed of Weike machines in general, (and ideally the 6040)?

Any other input, thoughts, comments, advice, tips, etc are all appreciated. But again, please, no "you shouldn't buy a Chinese machine, you should buy a US machine because..." posts. I know the reasons why many suggest the US machines are better.

Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

1. If you have a Weike laser, when you received it, did you get everything as ordered? (ie. was anything missing or was there anything that was a different item to what you'd requested)
    2. If you have any means of comparing, how did the Weike machine compare to other Chinese machines? (quality, control, etc)
    3. Is the Weike control panel ok (relatively easy to use)?
    4. What software comes with and/or can you print directly from CorelDraw or, conversely, is it easy to simply import and Illustrator *.ai file into their software and print that way?
    5. I will be ordering the Honeycomb tray, air assist, 5000W chiller, red point, autofocus and a spare laser tube. Is there anything else I should be adding?
    6. Anything you can add re the quality and speed of Weike machines in general, (and ideally the 6040)?
    Hey there. I have this machine (80W) but from a U.S. company (Full Spectrum).

1) Yes

2) I've used other machines at maker spaces and didn't notice much of a difference in build quality.

3) Mine is the the FSL proprietary panel and very easy to use.

4) RetinaEngrave3D and it works like a print driver which allows you to send jobs directly from your choice of CAD software (e.g., Illustrator, Corel, Photoshop, Etc.)

5) I would recommend a vector cutting table, exhaust, spare lens and mirrors but skip the extra tube due to limited shelf life and warranty that will expire before you will probably need to switch it out. All of these can be sourced from your choice of vendor too.

6) In my opinion, I would go with an 80W tube to help with average engraving and cutting speeds. A blanket statement -- but in my personal experience.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Matt McCoy; 02-09-2016 at 2:00 PM.

Perfect, thank you Matt! Very helpful.

One question though. I have read a ton of bad reviews on FSL and a lot of positive reviews on Weike, yet you say you have the same laser from FSL. So are they all the same... exactly? Or is there a difference, say between a FSL, Rabbit, Weike, Senfeng, etc. I was under the impression Weiek was a manufacturer and that FSL was a manufacturer.

Bear in mind that a 60 watt water cooled CO2 Chinese laser will not output a full 100% power, most are limited to 80 or 90% or even less. When you get into the higher wattage unit the engraving dot size becomes an issue.
    The metal tube units can be ran at full output and if the machine location is air conditioned , for long periods. This is not to say you can you should purchase a small unit and run at 100 % power 24/7.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

So one quick question. I forgot to add this to my original post. I keep reading all this stuff about ground wires... and digging rods into the ground, etc. I will be ordering the 110v machine. Is it just plug and play as far as ground is concerned, or do I have to use a separate wire placed into the ground to ground the machine? I assumed we have ground already built into out plugs and sockets, right?

Check out Automation Technology sounds like what you are looking for. My G Weike LG500 came from them and I am very happy with it.

Looks like my post is gone Adam. Not sure what happened there, but hope you were able to see my reply to your question.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McCoy View Post
    Looks like my post is gone Adam. Not sure what happened there, but hope you were able to see my reply to your question.
    It says it was deleted by you.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I missed it Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    It says it was deleted by you.
    Well -- shoot. I was reading on a new tablet yesterday with a spotty signal.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Less View Post
    I missed it Matt.
    Blah, blah, blah... The machine I have is a Weike laser branded by FSL with some slight modification (electrical, etc.) with their control card and software. I've used it daily (almost) for over a year with no problems. Blah, blah, blah...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Bear in mind that a 60 watt water cooled CO2 Chinese laser will not output a full 100% power, most are limited to 80 or 90% or even less.
    --Now I don't know if this is a Triumph thing or what, but my 80 watt (as advertised) Triumph has a 110w tube 'as tested' by Reci at 32mA. My meter hits 28mA at just about 75% power per the software, and assuming 100% would be near 32mA, 75% of 110 watts is 82.5 watts 'safe' running max. And I figure it must be close, because the Triumph will engrave the same piece of wood nearly 3x deeper at full power and the exact same running speed as my 40w LS900.

But that's my Chinese machine, your results may vary
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Interesting. First time I've read that about a Chinese machine.

Adam

i have had my Wieke for about 3 years... I would add you may want to consider buying some other lens up front. Some people don't like autofocus but it has helped me.

i did get all my pieces. From the point of view of a Chinese company they were good to deal with.....machine runs ok....but.

-you do need to work on them a bit. I have a 1290... One belt never tightens all the way & about every 3 months I have to readjust & relevel one side.
    -the pass through really isn't... The slot is there but if you need to adjust your table on a large piece of material...the pass through only lines up with the main steel frame... So not really useable in that capacity.
    - robust machine, every now & then the auto up-down has an issue ( never been able to fix mine)
    - great for cutting, not stupendously fast but cutting is robust. Engraving well let's say it will do it but not its strong suite. Get the Epilog or one of the other major ones if you really need the feature.....and you are a buisness. If only a hobby use it will work fine...just far from fast.

Now a few points...whoever you buy from...make sure they have someone that can speak English ...they have setup instructions you can understand, etc etc. I have been helping a fellow who got a great deal but on a support question...no one in support spoke English ..... He didn't get much documentation etc.

it doesn,t make them bad machines but balance cost V's what you want to do V's support for when something goes wrong.

good luck. Bob
    Gwieke 1290-100W,
    Trotec Speedy 400 - 80W
    Corel Draw X4

I've got an 80w 6090 GWeike machine. I've only had it about 2 months, but besides some of my own mess-ups it's run perfect.

1. Everything I ordered was there when I received the machine.
    2. I have no way to compare.
    3. The control panel is pretty basic, but does what I need (move the laser head, and adjust table height).
    4. It comes with LaserCut, which works fine for my needs. I save my files from Rhino 5 as .dxf and import them into LaserCut, not sure about Corel.
    5. That's everything I got, but I also got a second set of mirrors and lens. (I also removed my auto-focus and red dot as they were a hassle when cleaning the lens. I prefer it with no auto-focus, and I might make a mount for the red dot to re-locate it from the air assist nozzle.)
    6. I don't really have much to compare to, as the only other laser I've used was an older ULS (or was it Epilog?, don't remember) a few years ago in college. Works great for my needs, which is pretty evenly split between engraving and cutting.