Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wally Dickerman

Wally Dickerman

It has come to my attention, both through the WoW website and also emails with Wally’s daughter, Carol, that Wally has lung cancer and is not doing well. He spent 4 days in the hospital last week and is now in hospice care. His blood work is all messed up and in addition to affecting his speech, has slowed him down such that he sleeps a lot now.

Carol is reading Wally the cards, emails and passing along phone conversations as they come in.

Carol gave me permission to pass along her email address. I do not want to post it on an open forum because I do not want her to get hit with spam – so if you would like her address, please PM me.

I know you will join me in wishing Wally all the best and thank him for all the help he has given to the woodturning world!

I had the pleasure of doing an interview with Wally a few years back. For those of you who have not read it, please do. He is a fascinating man!

God bless you Wally and thanks!

Here are a few photos that Carol sent to us.

Wally 01.jpg Wally 02.jpg Wally 03.jpg Wally 04.jpg
    Last edited by Steve Schlumpf; 02-09-2016 at 2:34 PM. Reason: added image
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Steve,

I am sorry to hear that!

Wally's postings here at the Creek were often enlightening. His turnings were truly inspiring!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

What a sad thing to hear! Wally and his family will certainly be lifted up in my prayers.

What a treasure he is. Prayers for him and his family.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Oh no!! Our club interviewed him at our 25th Anniversary Event last October, and he was absolutely wonderful. I hope he mends quickly. All of us at the Olympic Peninsula Woodturners send our prayers.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Wally ,you are are a much beloved and respected example here. As Sancho would advise Don Quixote ,I say to you : " it's not a giant,just a windmill". Ahead "full tilt" as we pray for your victory!

Steve, thank you the head's up - - wish it was not so sad.

Never had the opportunity to meet Wally, but always found his comments (and occasional question) to be gracious and gentlemanly. A few years ago when I realized his age, it gave me some optimism that maybe I will have a bunch more years here (don't mean to sound self-centered; it was just one of those moments where hope suddenly shone thru, and it was due to Wally.).

My best wishes to Wally and his obviously cherished family. Patrick

I got to meet and chat with him a number of times. Good man!

robo hippy

My knowledge of Wally has been though this site. He is treasured by many. I would like to have known him personally.
    C&C WELCOME

Well that stinks. Good luck on the next chapter Wally.
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Prayers for Wally and his family.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

I also send my prayers to Wally and his family.
    Lori K

When I was approaching retirement, I knew needed an activity that would keep me mentally and physically engaged. I had always enjoyed working with wood and thought I would make furniture. I quickly realized that was a mistake as I did not want to have to work in a two man shop. Then I found turning and the example of Wally and others turning into their advanced years encouraged me that this was an activity that I could do.

I have greatly enjoyed his comments and posting. The postings on rim and on foot design would make a great tutorial by themselves. I have never had the honor to meet Wally, and wish him well. Maybe when he beats this I could meet him.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

We send our prayers to Wally and his family. Hopefully he has a good hospice team in the area keeping him comfortable and helping his family through this most difficult journey. What an inspiration he has been to us all!

Sending prayers to Wally and family. I sure hope I can keep turning into my 90's.

Doug