Thread: What turner is this?

What turner is this?

Several months (or a year+?) ago I heard about or happened to see a google image of a gorgeous, tall red mallee burl hollow form with the voids filled with swirled, colored resin. It was simply stunning! His website had a gallery with many similar pieces and made me really appreciate the beauty of red mallee burl. I'm trying to figure out who it was so I can look to their work for inspiration and just simply to admire it, but for the life of me I can't find any pictures that lead me to back to that site. Anyone have any ideas?

"Brownsville", North Queensland, Australia.
    No names come to mind but try Brendan Stemp or Jack DeVos, they both work with Australian hardwoods & burls. Brendan uses a fair bit of resin but I don't recall any pieces similar to what you describe. Jack mostly works with Jarrah & WA Sheoak & his forms are delightful.

Thanks Geoff. No dice on either of these, but Jack's stuff is certainly gorgeous!

Wes, try Alan Trout, I don't think he uses red mallee but his resin pieces are beautiful

www.tobinhillturning.com Alan's website.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Motquin View Post
    Wes, try Alan Trout, I don't think he uses red mallee but his resin pieces are beautiful
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Blasic View Post
    www.tobinhillturning.com Alan's website.
    I think that's it. Thanks! I was sure it was red mallee, but maybe I was just thinking how cool that wood would be cast in the same manner. Stunning work!

"Brownsville", North Queensland, Australia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Ramsey View Post
    I think that's it. Thanks! I was sure it was red mallee, but maybe I was just thinking how cool that wood would be cast in the same manner. Stunning work!
    The red mallee threw me . Most likely it was going to be an Australian turner to be using red mallee but not so. Alan's work is great, love his acorn cap castings. Brendan Stemp has been doing similar things to Alan's acorn pieces with gum nuts http://youturn.tv/portfolio-item/gumnut-bowl/.

Another possibility is George Watkins, he turns a lot of hybrid mallee / resin peices
    Eric Holmquist
    C&C Always Welcome

Jeff Neff has also done some resin wood combos.

Curtis Seebeck also known as Mesquiteman and the seller of Cactus Juice stabilizing systems was the first that I saw do this. He called it casting "worthless wood", and uses Alumilite resin for his castings. There are some demos out that he has done. Google his names and worthless wood and you should find the info. Curtis is also a member here on SMC, but you will fin more info on the penturning sites.