Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Misread?

Misread?

I am soon to be in the market for a new, larger lathe. (Currently a 1221VS Jet) The ones on my "short" list are a G0766, DVR XP, 1644 Galaxi, Jet 1642. It seems to me that all the above have spindle heights in the 42-44" range except for the Grizzly at around 47". I'm around 5' 11" (and shrinking with age!) so I'm thinking that the 42-44" range is correct for me so that may knock the Grizzly out of contention; which is a shame because it is my clear first choice. Am I missing something in the specs? I probably DO need to keep the leveling feet since my garage floor is not exactly level. Any suggestions on proceeding with these or other lathes?
    TIA!

My first lathe was a PM 3520A. I am now, after getting both hips and one knee replaced, 5' 11 3/4 inches tall. I had the PM up on 4 by 4s on both sets of legs. Leveled it with wedges. Not sure about all of the lathes above, but never liked the speed change on the DVR, WAY too slow compared to the twist a knob type. Oh yea, I did concrete work for 30 years, and even my floors were not dead level or flat. Most garage floors are sloped to help funnel out water if you hose it out or drive in from the rain.

robo hippy

Joe - I have the Jet 1642 and also a Robust AB - all I can suggest if to get the lathe you want! Worse case, build a small platform to stand on. I am about 5' 10 or so and have my spindles set at 48" because the bulk of my work is hollow forms or bowls. You'll figure it out once the new lathe arrives - which ever brand you decide on!

Looking forward to seeing photos - when the time comes!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Try out some of the ones you are interested in, if you can. I was interested when I turned on the same model as I have had for years but set up with the spindle an inch or more higher how different it seemed. I suspect a lot of it comes down to what you are used to. Whatever you choose, you will soon adapt.

I was using the Nova, now I am using the Grizzly G0766. With the Nova my back (pain in the right side) was getting sore, now with the Griz I have no problem. Of course I made my own bench for the Nova but I increased it to be higher to make it more user friendly. I have about 1" of matt under my feet. I am (I like to think) 5' 11" tall at 77 years young, but we shrink. I just made two bowls and 20 pens which were for a special order so I spent some time at the lathe and yet no sore back/side.

I too have the G0766 and I stand at 5'11'' and the working height is perfect for me. I would not want it any lower.

Red
    RED

7. Another Grizz G0766 owner who is 5"11" tall, and I use a 3/4" anti-fatigue mat underneath it......comfortable for me. The mat is actually a horse stall mat I got from Tractor Supply. The lathe still has the leveling feet on it.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 02-09-2016 at 8:40 PM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I am 5'-10.5" and shrinking (was 6'-0" in HS), and I feel the Grizzly G0766 is fine. The most I would add would be a 1" comfort mat under foot. But I have turned about 20 objects in the past couple months, and love it. The wide stance of the legs is so much better than the club Midi's. And the bed is long enough to get the tailstock slid far out of the way for hollowing. It's my first best first lathe!!
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Willing View Post
    I was using the Nova, now I am using the Grizzly G0766. With the Nova my back (pain in the right side) was getting sore, now with the Griz I have no problem. Of course I made my own bench for the Nova but I increased it to be higher to make it more user friendly. I have about 1" of matt under my feet. I am (I like to think) 5' 11" tall at 77 years young, but we shrink. I just made two bowls and 20 pens which were for a special order so I spent some time at the lathe and yet no sore back/side.
    Robert, you may have discovered a new marketing angle for the Grizzly G0766: "Ergonomic design known to have alleviated chronic back pain in a reported case!"

I too am 5' 11" and have the Grizzly G0766. I use a 2" mat when I need the spindle at elbow height to do spindle work and the outside of bowls. But do without the mat to hollow out bowls.

I have never turned or seen the Griz so I can't say with it. I will say that my old lathe did not have adjustable legs so I had a three inch platform to get it to a comfortable height for me. I did not like the platform but I needed it and thus used it. I first made it smaller but found I was stepping of the edge to often. So I made it bigger and still tripped on it occasionally. It made clean up in my smallish shop a PITA. I am so happy with my new lathe and adjustable legs.

Don't worry about the spindle height too much. That grizzly will produce several inches of shavings in a very short time. One or two good sized bowls and you will have to worry about the lathe being to short.
    Last edited by Clint Bach; 02-09-2016 at 9:40 PM. Reason: Incomplete...

I believe that Griz used parts from a prior model to make the G0766 and mounted a new head and tailstock on them, thus the increased height. Our club bought one and I had to demo on it. At 5'7" the machine was clearly too tall making it nearly impossible to get the right tool angle. The demo did not go well... That led me to make a pair of platforms of different heights each covered with part of one of the Harbor Freight pads. Stacking them allows our shortest turner to use the machine while our taller turners like the height where it is.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I'm 5' 9" on a good day and turn on a Nova DVR XP with the Nova stand. I have a wooden floor in my basement shop and stand on a 3/4" mat with no issues. You do not mention where you are located. If you happen to be in New England, you are invited to come and try my setup. I certainly lust over the Robust machines but it is more from people on SMC speaking about them than any need.

Double what Dale said about a platform. I used one for years and it is an accident waiting to happen. And like Dale said, cleanup is even worse. If you can't adjust the lathe to the proper height for you then don't buy it