Thread: fabric stamp

Question fabric stamp

I have a customer that is wanting a stamp made so that she can stamp a design on fabric with fabric paints. What would be the best material for this? It is a very detailed design.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Epilog mini 2412 45 watt
    corel x4
    sand carving unit
    full wood shop

Interesting idea. What size is the image. Any Idea what the material is she wants to stamp? I would be concerned that the stamp would get filled with paint and just print a blob if the material is thick. A cotton sheet on a hard surface would hold an image. A good silk screen might be a better choice... but I'm just throwing my limited printing knowledge out there...

Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

I would suggest a lino block.
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 Watt, Corel Draw X5, Wacom Intuos Tablet, Unengraved HP Laptop, with many more toys to come.....

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have one idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas... George B. Shaw

I think I'd go with rubber stamp material. You can get the detail with that.

But I agree with Mark that screening would be the best especially for higher volume work.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 02-10-2016 at 6:50 AM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

It is going to be small about .5" x 2" It will not be high volume usage, it is for a very special project she wants to do there is not a lot of detail in the image she wants to use but it is special. They are foot prints of a tiny baby that passed and when the hospital took prints they did a terrible job. I have cleaned up the image best I can. I may have to make a few different types to see which one will work best. I know I will probably lose money on this order but I also think I will end up making money in the long run off of this deal.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Epilog mini 2412 45 watt
    corel x4
    sand carving unit
    full wood shop

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy Rhoades View Post
    1st post - What would be the best material for this? It is a very detailed design. It is going to be small about .5" x 2" It will not be high volume usage, it is for a very special project she wants to do there is not a lot of detail in the image
    A small block of hardwood should be adequate.........the two posts confused me, but that is an easy task these days.....

Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

In a way it is detailed but you don't have the ridges like a good print would have so I guess it is a bit in between. My mind was thinking faster than my fingers were typing sorry for the confusion. Thanks for the help I will try it with hard wood first and see what happens if that doesn't work I will pull out the stamp material.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Epilog mini 2412 45 watt
    corel x4
    sand carving unit
    full wood shop

how about corian

Linoleum works best for this, but it isn't so easy to find anymore. I just scored some 12x12 tiles from the back room of an old time hardware store.. ancient stock, cobwebbed .. the room may have been haunted and the door last opened sometime during the Truman administration. But it engraves beautifully. Lino blocks (found at hobby stores) might work, but I've been told they are usually too soft for fabrics. I don't know that for sure, but many use them for paper and card stock. Next would be boxwood, which is often used in Indian print blocks for fabrics. You would oil the block after engraving in reverse (and inverted) and once the oil dries it should be ready to use. Hard maple will also work well for a short run like this, it doesn't need to last for decades, just long enough for the project.
    Avatar courtesy of the awesome Frank Corker
    30w Mercury and workbench so full of misc. tools that
    I can't find any of them. So I have to buy them again.

Thanks Chuck
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Epilog mini 2412 45 watt
    corel x4
    sand carving unit
    full wood shop