Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Painters tape for glue-up protection

Painters tape for glue-up protection

I have been using bargain priced painters tape. (It works like bargain priced stuff) I have a big glue up this week end and want to protect seam areas from glue stains. Any suggestions for high quality painters tape for use on maple. Also open to other suggestions.
    Thanks in advance, Kevin

Frog Tape. It has a better seal, but costs more. The green one is what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Frog Tape. It has a better seal, but costs more. The green one is what you want.
    I've used Frog Tape and I could not tell any difference in results between using it and the good ol' 3M ScotchBlue, carefully applied. The Frog Tape has an additive that created a gel barrier along the edge of the tape when exposed to moisture, presumably from your water based paint or glue. If you are working on a relatively smooth surface and use a good quality painter's tape like ScotchBlue and just make sure to press the edges, in my experience you can get just a clean a line.

The Frog Tape might be a real advantage if your grain isn't smooth though.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

I recently used the home brand of a blue painters tape I bought at a local Ace Hardware and was sorry I did--the tack on the adhesive isn't as good as what you get with the original 3M blue. That being said, I've wanted to try the Frog tape for awhile but haven't had a paint project that would require it.

I use the normal blue painter's tape as well. Sometimes the blue painter's tape that has the orange holder works better as it is much thinner. One thing I like to do is put the tape on before assembly and use a very sharp razor blade to trim it right to the edge. I use Swiss-Morton non-sterile surgical blades so it cuts beautifully and cleanly with little effort.

Also, learn to put less glue on so that you minimize squeeze-out as well. Have a few old toothbrushes wetted with warm water on stand-by to scrub corners and such.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Toothbrush = great idea!

Blog Entries
    Frog Tape. It really is very good. More expensive, yes, but in the big picture it's only gonna be another couple of bucks for a project.

It seems to have good shelf life too. I've had a roll for probably 3 or 4 years & it's still good.
    Last edited by Frank Pratt; 02-10-2016 at 1:51 PM.

I use frog tape if there's any texture to the material (old drywall with roller "dimples"), and regular blue tape on flat surfaces. For planed/sanded wood I'd just use 3m blue tape.

I found out the hard way that to make Frog Tape work you need to activate it with a bit of water, so it contours to the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I use frog tape if there's any texture to the material (old drywall with roller "dimples"), and regular blue tape on flat surfaces. For planed/sanded wood I'd just use 3m blue tape.

I found out the hard way that to make Frog Tape work you need to activate it with a bit of water, so it contours to the surface.
    I second this.
    I

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I use the normal blue painter's tape as well. Sometimes the blue painter's tape that has the orange holder works better as it is much thinner.
    Never saw the blue tape with the orange holder. Do you have A a pic? Where do you get it?

Thanks
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

George,

The paper holder the tape is wrapped around is orange or has orange colors in it to distinguish it from the other painter tapes out there. You should be able to find it in the same spot the blue tape is located at your local hardware store. I got mine at HD. Here is what it looks like: http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/bu...FQYuaQod1pcAdg

It is thin like the Frogtapes or other 'delicate surface' masking tapes.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I use the Blue painters tape as well. It works great, you can find it just about anywhere and while a bit pricey I don't have to worry about it not being up to the task.

Haven't tried the Frog Tape yet, but will have to give it a shot one day.

good luck,
    JeffD

I use the normal blue painter's tape for this as well as for actually clamping small things while gluing.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

avoid HDX blue tape from Home Depot....won't stick to anything

FWIW the Frog tape with the gel works best if it's moistened with a damp rag ahead of time else the paint/glue or whatever may creep under the edge before it actually seals. I think it's probably overkill in this situation.