Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Different Take on Weed Pots

A Different Take on Weed Pots

I thought I would use up some scraps in the workshop and turn these weedpots for hanging on a wall. I've made many weedpots that sit on a counter or mantle so I decided to try something a little different.

The 4th picture still has the foot attached to show how I hold them on the lathe and the last picture shows what I use to hang them on the wall...

weedpot.jpgweed3.jpgweed2.jpgweed4.jpgweed5.jpg

Pretty cool stuff. After you part weed pot from tenon, how do you mount/hold the weed pot to finish the back? - John

Quote Originally Posted by John King View Post
    Pretty cool stuff. After you part weed pot from tenon, how do you mount/hold the weed pot to finish the back? - John

Thanks John.. First I use the parting tool to cut into the tenon, leaving about 1" dia. then cut it off on the band saw. Then I use my Jumbo Jaws to hold the weedpot while I turn off the rest of the tenon. I had to raise the rubber stoppers up with washers to get them high enough to hold the piece firmly. I usually use all 8 stoppers but I only have 4 screws long enough to accommodate the extra length with the washers..so far..it works well..then I sand it and apply WOP to the unfinished area....I'm surprised at how well it blends in with the already finished part of the back..

CAM00363.jpgCAM00364.jpg
    Last edited by Barry McFadden; 02-10-2016 at 4:26 PM.

I like the idea of using up scraps, and you've turned out some fine work and come up with a great new "weed pot".

Would you be offended if I offered a critique? I can do so off line if you choose.

Interesting take Barry. I like these.

Doug

Thanks Tom and Doug.... and by all means Tom...fire away!!..your critique is more than welcome... might even be something I've already beat myself for

Nice. These might look great with feathers. (I have peacocks and collect a lot of feathers!)

JKJ

Really nice work Barry. Thinking outside the box, and re-cycling too. How do you drill the "weed hole"? While it is square prior to turning?

Glenn

That is a new twist on an old theme... nice

Jim
    If you think you are too small to make a difference,
    Try sleeping in a dark room with a mosquito.

Thanks John, Jim and Glenn.... I rough cut the circle on the bandsaw then drill the hole before I start turning it....

Quote Originally Posted by Barry McFadden View Post
    Thanks Tom and Doug.... and by all means Tom...fire away!!..your critique is more than welcome... might even be something I've already beat myself for
    Again, I really like the idea of a wall hanging, who says the weeds have to sit on the mantle? And the idea of using a disk as a vessel is clever. I'd like to see more than one weed hole, perhaps several, or a whole bunch all in the same vertical direction.

Thanks for sharing.
    TA

The 3rd picture of what I'd believe to be maple with the walnut band is a really sharp piece. Like everyone else said, clever idea thinking outside the box using materials already on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Albrecht View Post
    Again, I really like the idea of a wall hanging, who says the weeds have to sit on the mantle? And the idea of using a disk as a vessel is clever. I'd like to see more than one weed hole, perhaps several, or a whole bunch all in the same vertical direction.

Thanks for sharing.
    TA
    Thanks for the comments...certainly could have several weed holes..I'm working on a different arrangement still using a disk and I'll post it when done...thanks again..

Quote Originally Posted by David Delo View Post
    The 3rd picture of what I'd believe to be maple with the walnut band is a really sharp piece. Like everyone else said, clever idea thinking outside the box using materials already on hand.

Thanks David....that maple one was rough lumber when I started so I couldn't see much in the way of color when I started. After turning I actually liked the back better than the front!....had I known that I would have turned it without the stripe and just used the natural color of the wood as the accent.

CAM00365[1].jpg

Blog Entries
    Barry, those are great and what an innovative idea. Scrap box beware!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler