Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Different Take on Weed Pots

Those are really nice Barry! In the 2nd photo, what wood did you use for the 2 red-ish bands in the middle? Is that padauk or mahogany,, or something else? Really like the look of that under finish!

Thanks!
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Thanks for the comments Glenn and Brian...much appreciated...Brian...yes that wood is Padauk....

Really like those Barry especially the maple one. Curious as to size and you said you made them using scraps, what are scraps?
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project

WOW! Awesome. I was wondering what weed pots were. I was thinking they were...... Nevermind. Beautiful work! I think I'll dig up some scraps and make laminates and try that! Again, awesome work, gives me some inspiration.

Thanks Rick and Kyle I appreciate you looking and commenting... Rick...they vary in size from around 5.5" to 6.5" across..... The scraps I use are any sticks of wood that are at least 1" thick and anywhere from veneer to an inch or 2 wide and 5" plus long that are left over from making cutting boards or pieces of hardwood like the Maple one that are around 5 or 6 inches square that I really can't use for anything else. I've used a lot of scraps for fridge magnets as well but I think I'm out of room on the fridge!!
    Last edited by Barry McFadden; 02-11-2016 at 9:40 PM.

Thanks Barry I kind of figured they would be in that size range. The scraps comment was my attempt at humour. If it's an interesting piece of wood I even save pen blank cutoffs and make small board game pieces with them. Even the pieces that are to plain to be worth saving wind up wrapped in tinfoil and are used for smoking in my BBQ if they are the right kind of wood.
    Rick
    I support the Pens for Canadian Peacekeepers project