Thread: Polyurethane

Polyurethane

I finished some cabinetry using spray poly about 8 years ago and my wife has deemed it necessary to change the hardware. I notice that some of the cabinet doors and drawers have like a yellowing under the area where the hardware was placed.
    Is there an easy fix or am I looking at a total refinish job? The poly used was satin spray Minwax variety.
    Photo attached.
    Thanksexample.jpg

I wonder if it is a yellowing under the old hardware, or if it is a lack of aging where it was covered. The 8 year old finish appears to be in good shape in the photo you showed. Can you try putting a door in the sun for a few days to see if the yellow starts to change color?

Steve

Looks to me like the finish under the hardware is the original and the rest has darkened from UV light.

You could refinish the hardware and re install or get new that covers the area.

If you are really patient the color will likely even out in the next 8 years.......

I would like to vote for patience ... I dont think my wife would agree.

appreciate the feedback

Try a UV light bulb. Hang it close by. Roughly mask off the darker areas so that the light just hits the lighter areas. See if they get darker in a couple of days. I would not want to strip or sand off a perfectly good looking finish just to "fix" those small light spots. I'd be worried about it matching the stuff I didn't have to fix. I would put the original hardware back on first.

John