Thread: Plane history help?

Plane history help?

Hello all I picked this plane up from a great friend of mine and I love it glides really nice and everything seems like its almost brand new ,Im just looking for some background I guess like Does the Stanley company still make them like this? it just seems so new that It would've had to have been kept in a box for years if its not new. anyway it is a Grrreat plane regardless I just like knowing as always thank you all for your time and help,and have a great night.
    S.IMG_20160211_242349300.jpgIMG_20160211_242417298.jpg(pencil for scale)

Blog Entries
    Howdy Steve,

What you have is often referred to as a transitional plane. It used the adjusters of the metallic planes yet retained the wooden body of the wooden planes.

Here is the best source of information I know of on planes like yours:

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan4.htm

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Hiya Sir ! and thank you very much for the info I'll probably be there all night I love hand planes and aside from one that was passed down from my grandfather that big wooden one is my favorite !thank you again
    S.

Blog Entries
    I'll probably be there all night
    It has kept me up in to the early hours a few times.

He has a monthly tools for sale list with not only some great tools but it is also a vast store of information on tools from the days of our ancestors.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

-A couple of thoughts...

#1-unusual to find a transitional plane in that kind of nice shape. Most of the ones I see at flea markets or tool shows look like they either came from the bo0ttom of lake Michigan or the deck of the Titanic. Good find!

#2-Neat looking old wood lathe in the back ground there.

There are some out there that clean up quite well...
    refurbbed planes.jpg
    No. 28 and a No. 29 Stanley small jointer planes
    IMAG0163.jpg
    Side view. These two were made about 1892 or so...

Blog Entries
    #2-Neat looking old wood lathe in the back ground there.
    I didn't notice that. It looks like a Craftsman model I have seen occasionally on my rust hunting ventures.

jtk

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    There are some out there that clean up quite well...
    refurbbed planes.jpg
    No. 28 and a No. 29 Stanley small jointer planes
    IMAG0163.jpg
    Side view. These two were made about 1892 or so...
    I've got one of those on the shelf. Someone sanded it down and coated it with varnish. Not sure if varnish is authentic or not. What did you use steven? Anyone know what the proper 'factory' finish is for one of these?

I used just BLO. Old ones were maybe a shellac?

Yes sir I did stay up way too late reading all that and yes it is an old 12inch craftsman I was gifted that lathe a friend's father passed away and my friend wanted to see it stay in use so he brought it to me one day in pretty decent shape I cleaned it up bout a drive center and now I'm hooked like a fish ! I use that lathe everyday ! other that the small collection of hand planes its my favorite tool in the shop ,thank you all so much for all the background and info I really appreciate it !
    Thanks again ,
    S.

Blog Entries
    I'm hooked like a fish ! I use that lathe everyday !
    Mine hooked me when I first got it.

Now I sometimes take a break from other projects to turn a chisel handle or turn some pegs for hangers.

Recently turned a bunch for a hat & coat rack:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-Not-So-Simple

I will be turning more of and on to make more coat & hat racks.

jtk

I've had quite a few transtionals, and never saw any varnish or shellac on any of them. Rarely any signs of BLO, either.

I believe they were simply stained, and maybe then waxed.

Having said that, I do like shellac on woodies. I also like just wax. It depends on the wood.

As for the plane, Patrick Leach will tell you that transitionals are only good for firewood, but he would be wrong. Sure, the mouth opening can't be adjusted, but that's also true of a Norris infill. Personally, I love the way they look. I also prefer those low front knobs to the taller ones found on metal Stanleys.

Retrofit a nice blade from LN or LV, file the mouth a hair if needed, and you'll have a fine tool.