Thread: Delta 37-280 Jointer Knob

Delta 37-280 Jointer Knob

I've got a Delta 37-280 jointer I purchased recently, but discovered it's missing the table adjustment knob. The part is obsolete and currently unavailable everywhere I've looked. Anyone got one they're parting out?
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 02-14-2016 at 6:38 PM. Reason: Fixed title to match text.

Looks like it's not much more than a threaded rod and a knob, which you could easily make or buy at mcmaster carr. Unless it has some kind of special locking mechanism or something. You could also post a WTB at OWWM, if it's over 20 years old and made in the USA.

If you have a picture, somebody might have a work around/ alternate source suggestion.

Michael, I had this same problem. The handle connection to the table lift mechanism broke, leaving a somewhat ragged stub that was still connected to the vertical threaded rod. Depending on the shape of the broken piece that is attached to the vertical rod you can take a scrap board of say 2" x 7" and using a forstner bit cut a hole part way through the scrap board (about 1/2" on mine for a 3/4" stock). The size of bit to cut the hole will be one that matches the circular part of the broken knob stub. At this point the scrap wood will not fit over the stub of the knob, until you take a chisel and make an opening in the hole of the scrap wood that will allow the wood to fit over the stub and bottom out on the stub. Now drill a hole in the scrap so that it (the hole) will exit against the broken end of the handle/vertical rod. The hole you drill should be just a millimeter or so smaller than than a 10-32 machine screw (flat bottom). You do not have to thread this hole as the screw will do it for you. Tighten the screw and it will squeeze against the broken end of the handle stub. You may want to round off the ends of the scrap stock as it will now be the new handle. There was no picture of the broken end so I am just guessing that it may have looked like mine did. What makes this work is the screw against that stub of the handle, the rougher the broken surface is the better for the holding power. I have been using mine that way for a month or more and it works really great. Email me if you have any additional questions.

Thanks Folks- I purchased the unit with the knob missing, so I don't have anything to go by. I was hoping for the easy way out.

Hi Mike, was what I described to difficult to follow? I might be able to send a pic of what I was describing as a fix.

Don