Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Impact driver for cabinet building

Question Impact driver for cabinet building

What's a good impact driver for building cabinets, assembling workbenches, etc.? I had my eye on the Dewalt dcf895d2 but am going to buy the Festool 150/5 and vacuum soon so I was wondering how the Festool driver stacked up.

The Festool comparison video I found on YouTube was fairly old so I'm not sure how the most current model ranks and why I'd want it over something else. I've read Hitachi makes a good driver which can limit its power for finer assembly work, which is why I was really interested in the Dewalt ... I'd like to use it with confidence I won't break or strip out smaller pieces of wood.

Blog Entries
    I really like the newer 20 volt PC I got my son a year ago.
    NOW you tell me...

I've had several impact drivers and I have a crap ton of cordless drills. For construction, building decks, etc a big 18V or higher is fine. I personally like lighter than that. For cabinets and 99% of the time I use the Bosch 12V driver, 12V drill, and 12V impact driver. Super compact, light, and the batteries hold a charge forever. If I was only doing stuff in my workshop I'd get the 12V and later add big heavy ones.

I'd like to use it with confidence I won't break or strip out smaller pieces of wood.
    It won't strip out anything unless you just stay on the trigger forever. I have the Dewalt 12V and love it! Lots of control and no worries. They are not 'fast' like a drill so will drive at any speed you wish.
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

The Bosch and Dewalt 12V are both great - can't go wrong with either. However, I was pleasantly surprised by the weight of the new 18V Milwakee Fuel impact. Fitted with the compact battery it is difficult to discern the difference in weight vs the 12Vs. Head length is actually shorter while the height is only slightly more.

The one thing on the Fuel that sold me was the torque/speed selector. You get 3 speeds which I have found works great for not blowing through wood (#1) up to repeatedly driving 4" screws and auto work (#3). Being brushless also adds to battery life. I was going the pick up a new 12V for smaller work but cannot honestly justify it - from me that says a lot.

However, for strictly shop/cabinet work the Bosch is really nice.

+1 on 12 volt-specifically lithium ion. I use a Dewalt impact driver and impact wrench and am very surprised at how much torque they have. For cabinet work they have more than enough torque, For construction 20 volt might be better.

I have a lot of different Festool tools but prefer the Milwaukee M12 Fuel system for my cordless drill, driver & impact guns (plus the handy Hackzall). They have plenty of power for shop use. I also have the older DeWalt 18v NiCad system and never use them anymore.

Lightweight! Compact! Bigger isn't always better! Especially in the shop making cabinets. Bosch 12v is good!

I just bought a new Ridgid and the impact driver has 3 speeds. The low speed gives you a lot of control, and is much more gentle.
    It's great deal, for $159 and comes with a hammer drill. 18V, and lifetime warranty which includes the batteries. You can get it on Home Depot's website, but the latest model is not sold in stores. The ones in store are the older model, and the price is the same. You want the Gen5 version.
    Gerry

JointCAM

I have the Bosch 12v.
    I like the weight, size and fit.
    Charge up time quite fast.
    Downfall: batteries don't last that long + battery left overnight in tool will be drained by morning.

I have Milwaukee, Ridgid and Makita 12v drills and impact drivers. I like the hand grip and size of the Makita the best by far. 12V is all I need for assembly work, but still use 18v for heavier drilling--Kreg and other stuff.

I don't have any battery problems. The Ridgid comes with a 4-AH battery. Last time I charged it was over a month ago!

I picked up the new brushless 12V and 18v models from Milwaukee--too early to draw any conclusions yet.

I'm with the others who lean toward 12v systems.

I have big 18v but use my little ones 90% of the time. I learned this lesson when I hung cabinets for a living. A good 12v impact with a quality screw (read in here 'not phillips' drive) will ink a 3" screw just fine. And for assembly I like the feel and more delicate touch you get from the smaller ones.
    Maintenance Man - I do precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by people of questionable knowledge...

How do you guys stand impact drivers for daily use. They're so friggin loud

I've got a 20V DeWalt Li-Ion impact driver and don't know how I got along without it for so many years. It does have a lot of power and will drive a screw right through soft wood or plywood if you're not careful. You have to be especially careful when using pocket screws with plywood (ask me how I know...)

If it's just for shop use I'd recommend the SP Tools air powered impact driver. I've had mine for many years now and I wouldn't be without them. Will run off a relatively small air compressor since they don't require constant airflow.

http://www.spair.co.jp/en/products/d...8102B&c=driver

$274 from Amazon.